Battleship "Schleswig - Holstein"/ GPM Nr.218 /1

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hello friends,
Today after three days of break I start my new project.
Battleship "Schleswig - Holstein" of firm GPM No. 218 / 1:200
Here the engineering data

Size (Max): 14218 t
Length (Total): 127,6 m
Length (Waterline): 125,9 m
Beam: 22,2 m
Draft: 8,21 m
Crew: 742 - 802
Weapons
28 cm L/20: 4
15 cm L/45: 14 (12 since 1931, 10 since 1935, 0 since 1939)
8.8 cm L/45: 20 (4 since 1919; 2 since 1927)
3,7 cm L/83 C/30: 4 (since 1936)
2 cm MG L/83: 4 - 22
Armor
Belt: 240 mm (max)
Deck: 40 mm
Command Tower: 300 mm
Turrets: 280 mm (max)
Engines
Shafts: 3
Engines: 3
Type: 3-cyl expansion engines
Performance
Total Performance: 19330 shp
Speed: 19,1 kn
Range: 4800 sm at 10 kn

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Scorpio! :D

I am looking forward to this build by you!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching your Cleo come to life on the Kartonbau forum (great job on the sails!) and look forward to some of the same magic here as well.

You've chosen a very interesting subject, with an interesting history. It exhibits pre-dreadnought features that have interested me, is a survivor of Jutland, served in the reserve fleet as an accomodation ship, as a cadet training ship, served in the Baltic in WWII and even did duty as an icebreaker for a time. I know I don't have a full history of this vessel and if you or anyone else does it would be nice to read more about her career. (Do I hear Maurice turning his computer on? :lol: )

Is this it based upon her WWI configuration?

So, you took a whole three days off before starting this project? :wink:

I am looking forward to how you tackle some of the details in this build.

Cheers!

Jim

DN

Jun 12, 2004
New York
www.digitalnavy.com
Scorpio - looking forward to your new build. Interesting project indeed. How are you going to build her - "standard or open"?
Jim - I would add one more thing in your description of the ship history.
For all Poles, the ship will always be a symbol of dark days in September of 1939, as it fired the first salvos of WWII at Westerplatte. Some Polish designers will not touch this subject, on emotional basis, especially in its WWII configuration (as in this model).

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hello friends,
The frame scaffolding has already stuck together outside deck. The deck lies only on frames around passport exactness to inspect and to prevent possible discrepancies or correct.
But till present I have ascertained no mistakes. Everything fits tip top
Here a few photos of the construction stage

@ DN
I build my models not in the standard. I would like always that my work loyally like it is possibly to the original. Thus OPEN!!

Greeting
Christoph

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hello friends,
I have discovered with the model Treatment a mistake. There are no parts: C2cP, C2bP, C2aP and for the left side:
C2cL, C2bL, C2aL. These are parts which serve as push surface (Begrenzer) for the Kasematten walls.
Tip:
The parts should be stuck on on the lower part by the main deck part PK2 `. On this deck part these parts (contours) are drawn here where they should be stuck as a line contour.

I have copied the complete part PK2 ` and have cut out the drawn contours of the missing parts and have stuck on 1 mm cardboard. Then I have stuck the single - doubled - parts on the suitable line contours.

Cheers!

Christoph

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Coming along superbly, Scorpio! :D

I was trying to get a translation for two words you used in your prior post on the missing parts.

Begrenzer translates to "limiter"...not sure how that fits into your build, but maybe it means "support piece'?

Kasematten came up with no translation; could that mean something like "underskin for the hull"?

I'm glad you were able to find a solution to overcome the omissions.

Looking forward to further updates as you apply the skin. :D

Cheers!

Jim

cadwal

Jan 28, 2004
Sweden
I think the english word for kasematten is casemate. (In swedish it is kasematt believed to be from the italian casamatta).

It is the gun mounts that normally appears in the ships sides just below or above the main deck. There are no turrets, the guns are mounted inside the ships with some kind of opening for the barrel through a shield that normally moves with the gun mount when turned.

Dreadnought had none but later they returned even on british ships. Most of these guns were removed in WWII-converted battleships.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Christoph

A fine start, great to see you work your magic on another build :D
I can't wait to see all the little extras you put on her and how you do it!!

Always worth watching an artist at work 8)

Regards

Rob

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
Kasematte und casemate

A step by step method:

First of all, French ships of course...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cdasm.56/devastio.htm and the 1895 version, of a similar ship, the Redoutable, (and not "Redoubtable", arghhh!!!) both with four 270cm guns in a « réduit central » you may call it a casemate:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/images.collection/page_album32.htm

http://www.moduni.de/index.php/cPath/60000000_60400000_60402001_60402010/sort/2a/pag see austrian-hungarian ships page 2, at the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79221&item=2281015339&rd=1e/2
look at the « Kasematte » of the Weissemburg, named after a French defeat during the 1870-1871 war. Wissembourg was in France by that time, and nowadays again.

and for educated people only...
http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/~ironclad/Armour/compartment.htm
you can see a photograph of the Redoutable in its first version, after slight modifications, in 1880.

All is allright now.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Christophe

Even your gluing strips are so accurate I shall sit back and watch the master at work. I am really looking forward to it again.

gruss

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Christophe

The hull looks great such a smooth surface, what did you use to get the smooth finish and the sheene on it?

I look forward to each and every post you do with your ships, great stuff.

Thanks

Rob

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hi, friends,

The board walls have already been stuck on.
A frame scaffolding for the deck were based is also ready.
Till present I have ascertained no mistakes
On all your questions, I answer in there ends the construction report.
Greeting
Christoph

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Christophe

Each time you finish a model I think he cannot do better than that it's perfection .......... Then you do

greetings

barry