Battle scars.....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by wunwinglow, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

I've re-read your original post several times and it seems to get funnier each time but I do have a question on semantics..., instead of 'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........ wouldn't "Thooouuuwick-tha" be more appropriate? Listen more closely next time to see if this is truer to the sense of the sound. Sorry, just couldn't help myself...,

Best regards, Gil
  2. Darwin

Darwin Member

If truth be told, the exact sound of the dropped implement of destruction is unknown, as it cannot be heard over the screams of pain it engenders.

And, as my dear old father used to say...."If it ain't spurtin', you ain't really hurtin'."
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Don Martin's Fester & Carbuncle was my favorite comic strip of all time...., becoming familiar with the sound effects was part of the unbelievable humor this strip was capable of. Pick up some of the pulps by Martin on Amazon used books. Funniest way to pass time ever. Thaaaaaaaawaaack! Tim's already there, some have just not arrived, yet have before them one of lifes better delights.

Best regards, Gil
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

You should have followed the link provided. You would have found that was not the origin of CA. Iteration of a fallacy does not demonstrate it's validity.
    In spite of your continuing ability to write prodigiously caution is still needed in the use of CA as a suture.

5. Square

Square Member

Just remember if your the type to cheat on the wife .... hide and lock up your CA ..... I do know one guy that woke up and it was glued to his leg .... and yes they used acetone on it to remove the glue ..... just think of an over filled zippo in your pocket .... yeppers ouchy
    No I have never nor ever want to experience this .....
    and ever notice that when you cut your self really bad ... that you actually grip it before it starts bleeding? weird how that works .... still have the scar on my left index where the x-acto slipped .... was working on a chevy to expand the wheel wells ... had to cut out the original flares and was getting impatient .... to deep of a cut ..... WAAAAAY TO DEEP
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Harry Coover of Eastman Chemical Company was assigned the problem of finding an optically clear plastic from which precision gunsights could be cast. He was working with some cyanoacrylate monomers, which showed promise, but he was plagued by a recurring problem: everything these monomers touched stuck to everything else, which he recorded. However, he didn’t see this as serendipity, just as a severe pain! He was thinking about gunsights, and nothing but gunsights. The adhesive qualities of these monomers were a serious obstacle in his path. The research was successful, but the end of the War brought this project to an end. He forgot the stubbornly-sticking cyanoacrylates. Serendipity had knocked, but he did not hear it.

Moving ahead a few years to 1951, there was a need to discover stronger, tougher and more hear-resistant acrylate polymers for jet plans canopies. Coover was now supervising a new crop of eager young chemists who were investigating the properties of the same cyanoacrylate polymers that I had been working with earlier. The monomers were difficult to make, even more difficult to purify and still more difficult to analyze for purity. Someone in the group prepared what he thought was a pure sample of ethyl cyanoacrylate and decided to measure its refractive index in order to characterize its purity. The measurement was made and recorded. When the scientists attempted to separate the prisms, they could not! They were worried that the refractometer was ruined. Coover, however, suddenly realized that what they had was not a useless instrument, but a unique adhesive. Serendipity had given him a second chance, but this time his alert mental process led to inspiration. Immediately, Coover asked the scientists for a sample of his monomer and began gluing everything he could lay his hands on – glass plates, rubber stoppers, metal spatulas, wood, paper, plastic – in all combinations. Everything stuck to everything, almost instantly, and with bonds that could not break apart. In that one afternoon, cyanoacrylate adhesives were conceived, purely as the result of serendipity. These adhesives not only had a significant impact on consumer and industrial applications, but also became a promising answer to a surgeon’s dream of a tissue adhesive.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Member

Ah. You found it.
    And I suspect I detect an unipaired ability to cut and paste also.
    But hardly supportive of the contention that "The orginal invention was as a suture replacement"

And Square One
    Aren't you supposed to hide the scissors too ? :roll:

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

You mispelled a word...., suggest you use the "edit" feature to correct it. I'll let it pass this time but please try not to make mistakes like this again. It reflects badly on the membership.

Best regards, Gil
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK you guys, you want detail? You'll get detail. I was holding a wing trailing edge and using the scalpel to dab some glue between the top and bottom before pinching the joint closed. I needed some more glue, so keeping the part in one hand, I wiped the old glue off the blade and put the scalpel down prior to picking the glue tube up, to squeeze out some more. Concentrating on the wing and the glue tube, the knife was dropped (only an inch or two, but dropped nonetheless) onto a stack of paper, which was on top of my tool box. The box was NOT directly under the knife however, so the weight of the knife pushed the overhanging paper down, allowing it to slide, otter-like, point first, off the paper the table and so on.

'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........

No Pain.

Still holding the wing. And the glue tube.

Look VERY slowly down to the floor between my legs.

A*se. Do I put the glue down, cap-less, and mess the table? Do I put the wing down and loose the carefully adjusted joint, still not glued properly?

Still no pain.

ACTION!! Drop both wing and glue, grab scalpel and yank straight out!!!

Still no pain......

'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........ It most definitely went 'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........

Tim P
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Thanks..., you are a man of great and careful observation.

Best regards, Gil
  11. Maurice

Maurice Member

That's mighty magnanimous of you, how kind.
    I do hope my pelling won't reflect too badly on the membership in future.

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Sir, Sir, Gil and Maurice are fighting!! Sir, Sir!! You gonna put them in detention, Sir?!

Tim P
  13. Maurice

Maurice Member

Snitch :lol:
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Pax Maurice, cause Tim is gonna tell...,

Best regards, Gil
  15. Peter H

Peter H Member

Hehe....I've been readin the thread and it sounds downright human.

Personally I havn't had a injury in years *but* their is a reason. I started out at 14 doing a model railway and soldering wires came with the building, then I moved into electronics after I finished school. I would hate to think of the amount of burns I picked in those years while I learnt sincere respect for a soldering iron (a burn can last months if it eats into your skin from washing your hands and getting it wet)...thankfully now I have the enjoyment of the reinforced habit and muscle memory when anything like that is in my hands.

Now I have fun losing hair, getting the kids to respect sharp objects while preparing food. I'm thinking of making an endless CD saying "CUT AWAY FROM YOURSELF" and cornering the market.
  16. Square

Square Member

Peter I have heard that saying for many years now ... as I am sure so has all the rest here .... do any of us listen 100% of the time .....................NO
    all of us are smarter than that and it won't happen to us
    of course thats when ,tongue in cheek while cutting and concentrating very hard and wife sneaks up on you and screams :shock: "HI HONEY WATCHA DOING":shock:
    I guess its her way of getting even for all those nights I turned off the lights in the house and she couldnt see me as I sneaked up on her ....
    Course it could be her way to test my heart? Havn't quite figured it out yet
    And while we are at it .... how do you ventilate well a room when its -20 degrees out? I used to get all my U-controls ready in the winter up north and the airplane dope won't set up if cold sooo .... I'm sure if you've used this stuff you know the rest of that one. :roll:
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Soldering Irons. This didn't happen to me, but to a VERY clever designer collegue of my father; the sort of guy who could do double differentiation in his head, but you wouldn't trust him to wire up a plug. Anyway, he needed to check some stuff with one of the technicians and while talking, parked his bum over the edge of the techs workbench. Sitting straight on the guys soldering iron.

Half an hour later, returning from the factory medical centre with his trousers patched and a BIG Elastoplast stuck to his rump, he went to the lab to carry on his conversation with the tech. And did exactly the same thing. The second burn went right through the patch, the elastoplast, and his previous wound.....

Tim P
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

There are worst scenarios for self inflicted pain:

1.) Getting poked in the eye with a pine needle...., sounds somewhat harmless..., go ahead try it.
    2.) Slamming your finger in a car door..., you really get the feeling that a dork gets when it's you...,
    3.) Walking through a closed sliding glass door...,
    4.) Walking through a closed sliding screen door....,

There will be others as it occurs to me...,

Best regards, Gil
  19. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Gil, I can top one of those. I slammed my thumb in the passenger side door when someone dropped me off - the door latched and the lummox started to drive away.

I never knew there were so many shades of purple...
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Language or bruising? Or both, maybe...

Tim P