Battle scars.....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by wunwinglow, Jun 23, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hey, you know when you scalpel or craft knife falls off your worktop, and falls point down into the floor, and it goes 'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........

I just did that. And sure enough, it went 'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........

Except it didn't end up sticking in the floor. It didn't even end up sticking in the edge of the sole of my shoe. You know what is coming next, don't you?

Yep, right in my ankle. The sideways lump bit that sticks out either side of the joint. The inside, right one.

'Doi oi oi oinnggg'........

Blade in about 5 mm, sticking in there like that arrow in Shreks rump. In the bone.

Thankfully it came out with a sharp tug, and it didn't hurt then, but now it is starting to ache a bit. Thank goodness my tetanus jabs are up to date.

Any other horror stories out there, paper model related?

Tim P
  2. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Not too many here. Though I did slice off just the tip of my left index finger the other evening. Just a little dribble, not enough to excite Nosferatu. It'll grow back, I suppose.

3. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Battle Scars........

Ouch!!! :shock: :shock: I recently had my X-Acto handle with a new #11 in it roll off my table and, of course, I HAD to catch it! I also did the same thing ONCE with a pencil soldering iron - you will notice that I only did that once... Lets face it, if we didn't have some scars, then we have not been doing a proper job of modeling. [and I have over 50 years of this insanity behind me] Tim, just be glad you were working with a nice clean product like paper. :D

4. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

With my long hours with work and children, I am often up modeling way past my bedtime. Half asleep, blurry eyes, nodding head... and I'm waving a razor sharp implement around CUTTING things

So one night I am trying to get a tab to stick to the base and the angle is awkward - Genius that I am, I attempt to push the tab down with the tip of my craft knife.

The tip of the blade broke off and shot TOWARDS MY FACE!!!!

I nicked the exact middle of my nose and had a little spot of blood. When I think about what could have happened if that shard of metal had gone towards an eye... shudders, creeps, and willies!!

Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson in safety that night. I am now making different, stupid mistakes.

5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Back in 82 I had my hands crushed and since then some of the nerve endings have not been so good with pain response. as a result with this hobby my hands are like pin cussions :lol:
    It's when the part goes red I think oh not again :oops:
    Still not found a way round this!!
    Hurts like hell two or three seconds later :roll:
    The other half thinks I'am crazzy.

Still worth building the models though.

6. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I always found railroad modeling the most dangerous. I'd wind up with metal bits sticking into me on almost a monthly basis.
  7. silverw

silverw Member

Glue on my jeans...hmmm..

I tore the sleaves from an old shirt and wear that when I'm building, just so I have a place to deposit that excess gob. Only need one hand. Doubles as an emergency bandage. :idea:

OK, i'm home now! sshhhuuuushh!

Also...a very serious paper modelling (neck) injury could be had by having to tilt your head back to look at the monitor for hours (wearers of mult-focal glasses will know what I mean)
    I have posted a picture of a temporary fix, in my personal gallery. No nasty comments, please....I'm really not as mean as I look!!
    ...Bill :roll:
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Like anything it can be dangerous. Most accidents occur as string of events in which all the wrong decisions were made in succession. I do something that seems to avoid such a succession from occuring...., I fitst take a moment to think about the actions I am about to take and viusalize them step by step through to an arbitrary completion point. It may seem like a bother and an unnecessary waste of time but I've found that after a bit of practice it occurs without hesitation. Try it, it does work.

Best regards, Gil
  9. cardfan

cardfan Member

Have you ever noticed the time delay between when the knife slips and when you realize that the knife slipped? On the bright side, you can use CA glue to seal small cuts and puncture wounds. As my brother says, if nobody bleeds, we ain't havin' fun...

10. marc

marc New Member

i dont think ive ever cut myself or anything cardmodelling
    i usually hurt my self doing normal things like kicking my toe on something or walk into egde of a door
    few days ago i slammed my finger in the garage door
  11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

i have poked my finger tips soooo many times on the tips of the #11 blades, i feel like i am testing for diabetes

actually did it last night again

12. Darwin

Darwin Member

I have to admit, paper modelling has introduced a whole new dimension in pain....I'll call your dropped #11 exacto and raise you a dropped pair of Fiscars microtips....double your pleasure (two murderously sharp tips contacting soft parts at terminal velocity.
  13. marc

marc New Member

wow this sounds pretty extreme
    almost all of my injuries are from aggressive skating :|
  14. tino

tino Member

Hi to all,
    Normally I end with lot's of glue in my fingers...
    Nothing very dangerous.

15. shrike

shrike Guest

Anyone ever see 'Young Frankenstein'? The scene where Gene Wilder is gesturing violently during a lecture and ends up with a scalpel sticking out of his leg?
    I've got a neat full width #11 scar on my right leg from and X-acto rolling off my old workbench and landing just right.
    I think the incredulity and humour of the situation outweighed the pain.
  16. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

life is to short to use edgeless knifes, so use only the sharp ones :D

greetings from austria
  17. Horus

Horus Member

Oh the memories of the Kielcraft Hurricane! A balsa flier attempted at eleven years old - Hurrah! Also my Mum's voice hollerin' at me "don't you dare bleed on my new carpet Marcus!" as the artery in my thumb threatened to exsanguinate me. :shock: Oh happy days!
  18. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

MoM! I think I glued my fingers together!
    Oh CA does work so well...

Is there truth to the story that it was concieved
    to "field stitch" wounds? :?:
    Stuff sticks skin like nobody's business.
  19. charliec

charliec Active Member

Acetone is the solvent for CA - might pay to have some around if you use the stuff a lot. Saves losing skin when you try to pry the bonded fleshy bits apart.

20. Gil

Gil Active Member

The CA invention story occured in one of the lifetimes of this site. The orginal invention was as a suture replacement being approved for common use in Europe before becoming approved in the US 20 years or so later. The CA used in modeling is not the same stuff but close. I have used it to suture myself several times with success (I am writing this aren't I?)..., this is not a recommendation but an opinion. So even if you don't genreally use it for modeling it is handy to have around in a #11 emergency.

Best regards, Gil