battery trouble

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by monsterrcbuilder04, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

i got a brand new mega6-cell 7.2v 2400 mah battery and a week latter one of the cells overheated and melted the covering. wat went wrong?
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

During charging or while running it in the car? Do you disscharge it completely after running it? Is it a stick pack?
  3. monsterrcbuilder04

buran, russian space, plus a whole lot more.

while running it. it was as dead as it could get without discharging it .yes its a stick pack. the brand is megapax and it was a ni-mh battery.
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

what charger are you using to charge these batteries with?
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

an overnight charger.for about 10 hours.
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

The overnight charger is for NiCD batteries only. This is your first NiMH pack? Sounds like you overcharged it. You need a peak charger for NiMH, they don't like to be overcharged at all. Your pack is toast.
  7. timrock

timrock Active Member

i had many batteries melt the shrink wrap.it doesnt mean it is `toast`.in fact,they are fine.that happened to your car after running it.not after charging it.so it isnt a case of over charging as mastec says.

sometimes your motor draws alot of amps and as a result,the battery can get hot enough to melt the covering/shrink wrap.but doesnt especially mean it is ruined.make sure you have a charger designed to charge NiMH cells and try to charge them.they might be ok.
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

If you overcharge a NiMH battery it can cause high IR and while discharging(running it the car) it creates heat and melts the s. wrap. The battery is bad or that cell is. Or the battery shorted on something. Either way that cell is bad.
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

you would have to test the cells to see if any are bad.you cant tell just by the shrink wrap.
  10. monsterrcbuilder04

i think its just that cell. everytime like 1 minut. i touched it and burnt my finger.
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

that could be one of the only good cells.you have to test them with a meter.and also know how.

i had problems like that with Nicads and the ones that got hot like that were the good ones and the reason they got so hot was due to a couple of bad cells in the pack.the bad cells stayed cool.
  12. monsterrcbuilder04

what kind of meter would i need?
  13. mastmec

mastmec Member

A volt meter, digital is much more acurate.
  14. timrock

timrock Active Member

yes.use a digital volt meter.one cell should read very close to 1.2 volts when Not charged.7.2 for a 6pack but you need to test each cell.
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

that would be for Nicad cells.im not sure about those NiMH cells.

also,i never heard of a NiMH 2400.i thought they are 3000 and up.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

are you sure it isnt a Nicad?
  17. mastmec

mastmec Member

I've seen 2500 NiMH, either way the tests will be the same.
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

oh yea?well i dont have any experience with NiMH cells so i have little opinion and knowlege.im not certine how close they are in comparison with the technicalities of Nicads as far as the problems `monsterrcbuilder` is having and with charging and discharging.
  19. mastmec

mastmec Member

Monster, where on the battery did the wrap melt.
  20. monsterrcbuilder04

on the outside near the center cell. i took all the cells out and the cell were the shrink wrap melted was curoded on the pos. side.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.