Battery Powered O Gauge?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Is anyone making new battery powered O gauge locos? I've Googled them a few times and had almost no luck. I did just won a vintage battery powered Marx on eBay but I haven't seen anyone making new ones. (My K-Line Christmas train being the exception and it is now discontinued.)

I've still got a box of old O27 track in my garage but it's too rusty to run electric through it anymore. I've got some Teflon coating to spray it with to keep it from getting worse so I figured I would use it for an outdoor layout and run battery power on it.

How hard would it be to convert a loco over to battery power from electric?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The local garden railway club does battery conversions all the time...

You might want to contact them (friendly bunch! ;)) if you don't see anything you can use on their project pages.

3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

They never stopped though I cann't seem to remember who does it. You can find them at the dollar stores during the holidays and they come with plastic track, though they will run on my regular o track with no problems.
  4. Cannonball

Thanks, guys! :)
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

K-Line made one just before going bankrupt. It was in the catalog but I don't know how many actually got delivered. Retail price was about $40 if I remember right. I think they did them in Pennsy and Milwaukee Road schemes.

I wish Lionel would re-release it because I think they could sell tons of them, especially if they sold them in stores like Target.

It would probably be worthwhile to save "k-line battery" on eBay as one of your favorite searches, then you'd get e-mail if one turned up.

As far as battery conversions, I know of someone who's done it using a battery pack from Radio Shack and a controller intended for R/C boats. I think the total cost of the conversion was around $125.

The cheap battery operated locos are made by Scientific Toys and sold under the Eztec brand name. I see them most often at K-B Toy outlets but soemtimes they turn up at stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General. There's no throttle though, so on and off are its only speeds, and the underside has a big bump in the middle of it that keeps it from running on 3-rail track.
  6. Cannonball

Your encyclopedic knowledge of all things O gauge never ceases to amaze me.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

If I'm right one of their ( K-Line) last ones was the Coke - Cola train, all in red. I think it went for $39.
  8. Cannonball

I bought one of the last of those for my up and coming Christmas layout. It comes with a remote for forward backward fast and slow. It even has a few pieces of scenery. (A nice little train station.) I had to cut the speaker wires though. The sounds that thing made were just beyond annoying and they had no on or off switch.
  9. Cannonball

Just won a working Marx battery powered set for 99 cents + $7.00 shipping. Sometimes those no reserve auctions really pay off. :D
  10. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Thanks. I have a large collection of OGR and CTT magazines and a pretty good memory. I know a lot more about the cheap stuff than the expensive stuff though.

As far as that Marx battery-operated set, my only question is whether they have any kind of throttle. It might run a bit fast, but hey, so did their transformer-powered locos. Let us know if it does, and maybe I'll buy one. Then I can lay a buttload of O gauge track in the yard to give my busybody neighbors something else to talk about.
  11. Cannonball

I've actually won two so far.
    One is tinplate (Almost looks like a Commodore) and the 99 cent one is plastic.
    They should be an interesting experiment.
  12. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Your luck you would hit it with the new Toro and be out $300 dollars. :)
  13. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Ah, but not if I play my cards right. Turn the back yard into a gi-normous O gauge outdoor layout with no real grass, so I don't have to mow it. Then I only have to mow the front yard, which should take me about 15 minutes, then I have more time to play with trains, and since the Toro is doing about 1/4 duty, it should last about 40 years, so I save like $900.

Yeah, the more I think about this scheme the more I like it.
  14. Cannonball

Yeah..... I could do that! :thumb:

No I couldn't...... The wife wouldn't let me. :(

15. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I don't know if my wife would let me either. But it sure is a nice dream.
  16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

If it makes you feel better even with a 53 inch mowing deck it takes me 3 1/2 hours to cut grass. I have strongly considered moving the pasture fence closer to the house. I have reduced some mowing time by moving the actual farm fields closer to the buildings but the wife will not let me plant any closer.

On the other hand I could build one heck of an out door railroad.

BTW. I do enjoy your writings, I guess you could call me a fan. :)
  17. Cannonball

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. ;) :D
  18. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

One of the reasons I like living near the city is the smaller lawns. I'd have bought IN the city (smaller-still lawns) but the school district there is horrible. When there are kids in the picture, it'd be almost as safe to turn them loose in the streets and they'd learn more. So I had to buy someplace where there was a good school district.

I did my lawn the other night in 45 minutes so I can't complain too much.

An outdoor railroad would be really nice, and I thought about it for a moment a couple of weeks ago when I saw a big honkin' pile of LGB stuff for what seemed like a good price, but I really don't have time for that right now.

Thanks. I haven't even looked at my stats in over a year so I have no idea how many people are reading anymore. It's good to know there are a few.
  19. Cannonball

I'm still trying to decide the best way to go about it.
    I really don't have time to a bunch of landscaping and leveling.
    I'm wondering if I could attach some sort of raised shelf to my fence or garage perhaps. Putting in hinged bridges in front of the gates would be no big deal because I'm running battery power so electrical contact is not an issue.