Batman Begins Tumbler - (1:10)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jaffro, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Some of you will know how long I've wanted to get stuck into this, well now it's time to start... I'm really looking forward to this one.

The subject: the coolest Batmobile ever seen (in my opinion anyway), the Tumbler.

The Plan: Double size it, add detail if needed.

I've only built one of Claudio's models before this one but I've downloaded a heap of them and I love the way he designs his models and presents his instructions, they're a lot of fun to look at, and build. While building the Mad Max Interceptor I started adding my own details and enhancements and couldn't help thinking how much better a job I could do if it was double the size. By the time I decided this it was too late to restart so I decided to go down that road on the next model, which I decided long ago was going to be the Tumbler.

I got in contact with Claudio and he was kind enough to provide me with a white "lines only" version of the tumbler pdf, which I had printed at double size at the local printshop.

I had the sheets with the bulk of the "black" parts printed on 210gsm paper, which I will laminate to 450gsm cardstock, the 2 sheets with the parts from the wheels are printed on standard A3 paper, and the windows sheet was also printed on 210gsm, I will use these as stencils for the windows etc. Claudio has also separated the small parts like the hydraulics and wipers etc, these were printed in colour on standard paper

I have not yet decided how to tackle the wheels but I have a few ideas. I have some silver mirror cardstock, some plain black, and some standard 600gsm white card, between the three of these I should be able to come up with something funky, I love the way Claudio designs his wheels and I used his Interceptor model/wheels as practice for this one.

I am aiming for a much higher quality build this time than i did on the Interceptor, as that was a model that "needed" to look beaten up and damaged... I hope I can pull it off.

First things first, I need to laminate and start cutting, next update will be as soon as I post it :p
  2. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Can't wait to see this double sized Tumbler.

Good luck Jaffro:thumb:
  3. 57townsman

57townsman Member

WOW! This will be an amazing build. Keep us all posted of your progress. Are you planning to finish it by the time the movie opens?

4. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Finish by July 18? Haha.

No!! :D

But yeah... I was thinking yesterday that the timing is kinda ironic... I've been wanting to do this for ages and now as I get underway, the hype surrounding the movie is going into overdrive.
  5. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

You are certainly correct, the Tumbler is the best. Now, go, beat the movie prop Tumbler, stun them with your papermodel! Make them see paper is epic! :)
  6. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

This looks to be a fun build to follow. Double-size. I hope your not married as the misses might have something to say about that!
  7. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

About time!!! You told me about this project a long time ago. I've been looking forward to this one buddy!

I can't wait to follow this thread and see it take shape. Anyone who's seen your Interceptor know's that this one will be awesome!
  8. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Not much to report today, but the first cuts have been made. I spent some time yesterday comparing my white printed copy to the coloured version and separating all the black parts from the parts sheets, these were then laminated to 450gsm cardstock and have spent about 12 hours under a stack of books. I used two methods for laminating, first the trusty spray glue in a can, my usual method, then after the can unexpectedly ran out of glue I decided to try out a stick oh UHU glue I bought ages ago to try out.

I've never used UHU before but have seen a lot of german modelers raving about it... I always thought it was just a "german thing". It was a lot more time and effort to apply, but I was pretty happy with the bond before putting the sheets under the books for the night, I think I'll experiment with this glue a bit more over the course of this build.

In other news, we have a new digital camera arriving today hopefully, those those two pics above should be the last of the grainy low-res pics from my phone in a build thread, I also recieved a few more parts sheets from barry today for the Daring project, so I will now most likely be juggling the two builds.
  9. exzealot

exzealot Member

In your last reply to my build of the Dragon Wagon, you mentioned that you will be building "Tumbler" tires. I didn't know what you meant, but then I saw your link to this build.

This will be a really cool model. Good luck with this - I think alot of people will be watching this one.

10. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Very cool, I love seeing the larger scale build ups.

I will be following this thread with great attention :)
  11. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I wish I had more to report on this right now but due to family issues I have nothing right now... gimme a week or two and it will be back on track, thanks for the kind words and support :thumb:
  12. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

didn`t care for UHU when i tried it , found sometimes it tended to get mmmmm, brittle almost as it got older and delaminate , might have been just the one i tried it was the liquid version .

Cant wait to see this in large scale either , should be awesome
  13. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

OK, back in action... slowly.

I've started with the first few steps and progress is slow cos I can't find a suitable material to use for the windows yet, I'm hoping to get hold of some x-ray negatives or something of the sort for that bronzed glass look.

The card I'm using is very thick so folding has been a bit of trial and error, the best method I've come up with so far, which I think i picked up from a build thread around here somewhere, is to cut a v shaped groove in the back of the part where the fold needs to go.

I mark the fold lines on the reverse side of the part with a thin to medium black marker then cut on a 45 degree angle on either side of the line, trying to remove all the black, this gives me a lot more flexibility when folding and a nice straight line, when it comes time to glue these parts together, I will run some glue along these fold lines as well.

So far the two main parts I've cut out are looking a little more like a Halloween mask than a car, not that the tumbler looks much like a car anyway. :D

That's all the windows cut out so once I find a suitable plastic to use I can start filling, sanding and gluing the main body parts together... Oh and some black paint won't go astray either.
  14. Master-Bruce

Great start buddy! When you lay it out like that it does look like a mask doesn't it. :)
  15. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Thanks Skip,

A small update for now, hopefully I'll have a lot more to add by the end of the day.

The main body section is slowly coming together and is looking a bit less like a mask as I get further into it (I'm a lot further in than this next pic shows, this is all I have that shows actual glued bits).

It seems the elusive window material has been right in front of me the whole time. I mentioned wanting to try some X-Ray film/negatives for the bronzed glass. My partner had an ultrasound a few weeks back, and the first thing I noticed was that the negatives had a blueish tint to them so I never even gave them a second thought but today I noticed the opposite side of the sheets has the bronzed colour I was looking for. I now have a full set of windows ready to go in, as soon as the body section surrounding them is painted.

Speaking of painted, the painting has begun. My airbrush has packed it in again so I've decided to try spray cans for now, I'm using a cheap Matt Black I bought from work. The joys of working in a hardware supplies warehouse... we even have a craft section with oodles of nice "toys" which are going to come in handy for this and future models. The first few coats have been applied, with slightly less than satisfactory results, but I'm confident I can clean it up as I go.

I've had a test fit of the front window, it fits and has turned out exactly how I was hoping it would look, the colour of the windows is looking spot on compared to most of the reference shots I have collected. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'm trying to get as much of the body together and painted as possible before I add the windows and close up the shell, then I'll need to find a way to protect the windows from the rest of the spraying that's going to take place over the course of the build. So far this is coming together a little faster than I expected and is shaping up to be a very fun build indeed. The extra size is going to allow for a lot of added details and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some of that, especially those big chunky rear wheels.
  16. Master-Bruce

WOW. I'm liking it Jaffro! It's looking very clean to me buddy.
  17. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

The way I always planned to tackle this model after deciding to upsize it, was to take each part, cut, fold and shape it, then paint it before attaching it to the model. So far this has been working well for me, but looking at the photo's of Claudio's build in the instructions, I'm noticing his build has used a lot of curves where curves don't belong, due to the thinner card used in the smaller scale. My parts are a lot stiffer and don't bend as easily. So far this hasn't presented too many fit issues and I've been able to force everything into position using some extra support. I'm also not using the tabs in the kit, instead I'm applying my own tabs to the back of the joins after butt-joining the parts. These next two pics show some of the extra support and internal tabs I've added.

Some of this bending and forcing of parts into place has opened up gaps in the joins, I started out by filling these gaps with white glue then sanding, but after painting this has had an effect on the finish, giving the matt black paint a shiny look where I don't want it. I've rectified this by sanding the gaps out and filling them with a wood putty/filler then sanding, I'm also considering trying some Tamyia pl****c model putty but so far the wood filler is working fine.

I'm almost ready to add the windows and close the body up which means it's nearly time to start on the afterburner which I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle yet... the kit is printed in a dull gray but I have some silver card and some silver/gray paper that I want to experiment with. Here are the results of the almost final coat of matt black sitting in my spray booth (cardboard box)before I start to add the extra layers, it's only shiny because the paint is still wet. I'm probably spending a bit too much time and paint on this part seeing as it's mostly going to be covered by external panels and details later on.

I think I need to type less and add more pictures... these posts are starting to feel like I'm writing an essay. :D

Oh by the way, Claudio, in your instructions in steps 10, 10a and 11 you have written parts A6 (A-5). These are actually parts B-6 and B-5... not a big issue though as they are fairly big parts and the correct parts were easy to find.
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I LIKE that last picture, Jaffro! Nice work!
  19. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I LIKE that last picture, Jaffro! Nice work!
  20. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Liked it so much you posted twice? :p

If you liked that last one you'll like the next ones even more... I've just been out in the shed drooling over the results of the final coat... once I get the drool wiped off I'll post a few more pics. :D