Bashed Business Car

absnut

I was at the roundhouse the other day and watched as they brought in a piece of antique rolling stock for inspection and it took my mind back to the early days of the Danville and Rigby Junction RR, way back to the mid-70's! One thing I have constantly been on guard to avoid is taking myself too seriously (unless absolutely necessary) so, with that in mind, I recall the following bit of D&RJRR history. :wink: Shortly after rising from the position of inspector to CEO by buying up the majority of company stock, Cyrus Danforth Turnbuckle (known as CD to friends and family), approached shop forman, Hiram Hoehandle, with the idea he'd like to have his own business car and perhaps they should send specs to Osgood Bradley for an estimate. Hiram, being personally offended, knew he could do as good a job as OB, especially since they had some unused passenger stock from assimilating the former Bangor and Southern (locally known as the BS Line). CD's wishes were simple: a car that could be used as an office, vacation home, travel all over the D&RJ system comfortably, and provide room for family and friends for the annual fall leaf inspection trips into the mountains. The resulting car, the Mountaineer, is what I saw at the roundhouse, still wearing B&S lettering, a little rusty in spots but, still, obviously, quite serviceable.

ajy.jpg

ajz.jpg

Dick

F

Fred_M

Hauling around his money as gold I bet Chris. :0 Great job Dick. Fred

P

philip

I don't think Osgood Bradley would have touched that with a 10' pole. I had to take a second look at that one Dick. :D

:thumb:

spitfire

Great bash Dick!! :thumb: :thumb: Love the story, love the names! I see there's a little bit of Charles Dickens in you!

Val

absnut

Thanks for all the kudos, friends. :wave:

Sal,

The two trucks on each end are mounted on a span bolster on each end which, in turn, are mounted to the car floor. Thus, when entering a curve, the trucks can pivot on the span bolsters which can also pivot.

Dick