Bashed Atlas Turntable Project.....

LNEFAN

Questions

I really like your project and its given me inspiration to try something similar. A few questions:

1. What kind and dimensions of wood did you use?

2. What is the origin of the cables/details used?

3. Does this turntable use Code 100 or Code 83 rail? I use Code 83 so if it's 100 I'd need to make some sort of transition?

Thanks-
-Tom

Iron Goat

Thanks, Tom... the stripwood used was .0208" X .125" X 11" sections (Basswood); and the wire that I used for the cable was some scrap steel wire left over from another project (I really don't have the wire dia. info, but the diameter is about half the thickness of the shaft of a straight pin) if I had to guess, I'd say about .0150" diameter wire; the four turnbuckles were "S" scale Grandt Line Turnbuckles; and the track on the Atlas T/T is code 100.

You could use short pieces of code 100 for the approach, and storage tracks, and then a foot or so back down the approach track use a section of 100 - 83 transition track... that is what I am doing.

The stripwood was stained with Driftwood weathering solution, and was attached to the T/T deck using GE II Silicone adhesive.... DO NOT use anything containing MEK of the deck, as it will come out of level (warp) badly. I heard that horror story from another modeller, and he sounded pretty convincing to me.

Good luck in your modeling.... Bob sign1

Iron Goat

Well, the shed is just about finished... I'll head for the train store tomorrow and pick up a chimney to "cap off" the roof, then I'll scratchbuild a coal bin on the side of the shed, do some weathering on the shed itself, stone walls, and the Law's gallows.... and that should do it until I get my locomotive service area benchwork completed.

Bob :wave:

Attachments

• IMG_4617 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4617 (Small) (Small).JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4601 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4601 (Small) (Small).JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4613 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4613 (Small) (Small).JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4611 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4611 (Small) (Small).JPG
    32 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4607 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4607 (Small) (Small).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 108

LNEFAN

Excellent Bob! I agree, this is the best-and most straight forward- bash of the Atlas TT I have seen so far. As I mentioned before, its really given me the inspiration to attempt something similar. And your rendition of the shed looks great! I have a perfect spot on my layout for just such a project. Do add pics for us as it gains its final form and placement.Thanks!

I'll head for the train store tomorrow and pick up a chimney to "cap off" the roof,

BUY a chimney? After all that scratchbuilding? C'mon, I'd expect to see one hand carved from a section of stripwood! (still, on most of my scratch/bash projects one of the few purchased details has been, of all things, a chimney...)

But seriously, looking fantastic!

Bob, a very fine done job!

Can I make a suggestion for a correction and an extention?

- If you own use a smaller NBWs. I think these are a bit too large.
- Add two wires (each side one) between the upright posts, so that the NBWs look like the ends of two clamps holding the posts fixed together.

Only two ideas.

Bernhard

Iron Goat

Good call, Bernard ! I have wondered about the size on those 8 large NBW's ever since I used them on this model.... but I originally tried using the small NBW's that you also see in the photo, and it looked like the ones used for the cable needed to be larger.

I think I'll look for someting slightly larger than the smaller of the two I am presently using, but the only thing I could originally find were these two sizes. I may have to try S scale detail parts. Any ideas ???

Thanks for your input... Bob

Bob,

look for Precision Scale Co. parts, that you can find also in Walthers online Catalogue. Make a search for NBW there. Precision Scale has really good NBWs in plastic and brass. I prefer brass because the greater stability.

Bernhard