Based on the Vignette

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Being a newbie I have posted a trackplan a few months ago based on the Iain Rice "East Suffolk Shortline".
But I can not afford that much room right now. I have never built a layout before and I want to start something that will keep me busy for a while.
This is what I came up with: "The Coal and Lumber Shortline".
It is slightly based on the Vignette railroad posted in this tread and the layout needs a 6' by 3' table.( thats the room I have for now)
The minimum radius is 12.4" and I will use Peco code 80 flex and medium turnouts, that will be thrown by hand.
The trackplan is designed with RR-Track and with the use of the Kato Unitrack library, but not intended to use Unitrack for this one( I want lay some real track this time).
Any comments ?

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
It looks like a good track plan.

One thing I would modify is the branch line. Where it begins to climb, on the left side of the layout, I'd swing it further away from the lower track rather than leave them so closely parallel. The visual effect would be better.

Keep us posted on your design --- and construction.

Bill S

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
I agree with Bill on the only change.
Since the tracks are very close, you would need a retaining wall in that area. If you move the track centers apart in that area, you would have more scenery options other than a retaining wall.
Marty

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi csx, nice looking plan that, could work out very nice scenic wise. Are you interested in a logging line. The reason I ask is I have Iain Rice's lilliput logger which was originally for HO, but I converted it to N for someone else. I can post it if you wish. It will fit onto a 5' by 2'-6" board, so with your 6' by 3' !!!

Shamus
wink.gif

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Bill and Marty I agree the suggestion you made both would give more scenic possebillety .I think when I use the Peco flex this can be arranged, but the border of the 6' length does not give me much room.

Shamus, I do like logging, only not that sort of logging you model on your very nice and well detailed layouts, I like a more modern style sort of logging in the diesel era.
I have 40' fishbelly flats equiped with Allan Curtis' log bunks, and they would be pulled by a Lifelike GP20 or SW9 1200.
But I would sure like to see the trackplan from Iain Rice you mentioned, ideas from other people are allways a great help.

I have his book "Small, Smart and Practical Trackplans" and the Lilliput logger is not included in this one.

Thanks for responce you all,

Paul

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Paul,
The plan is fir a three level scenic run, I have it coloured for the different levels. If you need further help on this, just ask. I once built the HO version of this and it was very nice indeed.
Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• 1newlilliput(n).jpg
    1newlilliput(n).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 279

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks Shamus, this one looks great.

Just a question, I can locate the logging camp (the concentration of buildings) in the red area, so this must be top level, the green middle level and the blue-black lower level of the layout, but if you could give a little explanation on the buildings placed on all this levels, what do they serve to, would explain a lot more.

Thanks,

Paul

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Paul,
Here's the plan again with names, great plan for operation.

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• 1newlilliput(n).jpg
    1newlilliput(n).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 273

aggiewonder

Aug 23, 2006
shamus said:
Hi Paul,
The plan is fir a three level scenic run, I have it coloured for the different levels. If you need further help on this, just ask. I once built the HO version of this and it was very nice indeed.
Shamus
wink.gif

Is this the N scale version?

boatman909

Mar 12, 2007
Niagara Region, Canada
Shamus,
Do you still have any details of your HO version of this layout - a track plan, some pictures?

I am looking to build a logging layout and was just going to use Ian Rice's track plan as is.

Cheers
John