Base paint color

douglasarcher

Well, it's been a very long time, but I finally got to it and was able to find a suitable mixture between plaster of paris, water, and vinegar. Paper towels were also used. The attached picture is the result. I made the hill higher than originally. I would like to have a rock face (sort of what it looks like when you cut through a section of mountain). What I have now does not look like a rock face at all. Any tips on how to carve the plaster or leave marks in a way that it will look like a rock cliff? Once I get that out of the way then I'll try my luck at painting it.

Thanks for all your tips.

Attachments

• Upload1.JPG
    Upload1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 26

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Sedimentary rock cuts are easy to do. Spread a thin layer of plaster / joint compound / spackle on the face, and let it set up for a bit. When it is firm, simply slash across it to create the layers of rock. You will want small vertical breaks as well to make it look as if the horizontal layers have split / are not entirely continuous.

Here is a link to an article on a diorama I did including this technique:

http://www.ovar.ca/Articles/BatchelorDiorama/small_diorama_kick.htm

If you want to do metamorphic/igneous rock (like granite for example) your best bet is probably rock molds.

Andrew

douglasarcher

Hi everyone,

This will be my last post on this topic and I would like to thank everyone and I mean everyone for all the advice given. I was finally able to combine all your input and have finally created my first hill in colors that I can be proud of. A picture is attached. I just have to add some vegetation, but I think I have the hang of this now and am really on my way to model railroading.

Thanks

Attachments

• Mountain (18) C.JPG
    Mountain (18) C.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 27

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Douglas,

Don't make it your last post! We want to see the final result with the vegetation and everything... :)

Looks great so far - the colours are impressive :thumb:

Glad we could help. Looking forward to more pictures.

Andrew

Tileguy

Nice Job Douglas, you really got the shade variations looking natural.When doing ground cover think several very light layers to gain that same subtle shade Variation.
Once everthing is affixed give the entire thing a weathering wash, let dry and hit lightly with dullcote to eliminate any fixitive sheen......TA DA!! :)

douglasarcher

Hello,

It's been quiet a while since I've been able to do much on my model railroad. for those of you who are interested here's a picture of my progress after adding a small trackside pond and some trees. "Everything" used here including grass, water, road bed, etc was made using ideas found throughout this website ! Hope you think it looks alright. I think it does.

Douglas

Attachments

• Misc 03 (Small).JPG
    Misc 03 (Small).JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 28

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Douglas,

Welcome back!

Your layout looks great. The rockwork is very convincin, and I like the stream/ditch between the tracks. Trees look good too. Any chance of more pictures?

Andrew

douglasarcher

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated from a newbie like myself. My layout is actually a 5x10 layout and nothing has been done on the rest of the layout as far as scenery because the corner shown is my "learning corner" where I take all of your guys' hints and advice and use it to experiment until I get something I like before moving on to other sections and believe it or not I try everything you guys recommend. At least everything that I can considering I'm not able to purchase a lot of the things you guys are using (I'm in Thailand). I have been working on this corner for almost 1 year (just compare with my initial photo and you'll see what I mean) ! so, thanks to everyone who followed this thread and offered advice.

Douglas