Base for N scale buildings ?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I'm reading book "HO ( gasp ) Railroad from start to finish ". The author uses some 3/16" thick foam core board for the roads. He then uses that same foam core as a base to raise the buildings flush with the road.
I wanted to adapt the idea for my N scale buildings. N scale being roughly half the size of N scale I looked for 3/32" thick foam core but ... I couldn't find it. . It seems that 3/16" is the smallest thickness available for foam board.
Any suggestion ?
How do you, N scale modelers, raise your buildings to the road level ?

Jacques

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
First, thanks to all the nice members on this subforum who took some of their time to reply.
So far, it looks like it is an "All Canadian" thread.

So the problem is to have the buildings base at the same level as the concrete road.
The concrete roads have a base made out of 1 layer of N scale cork roadbed , and the concrete is made out of .030" sheet styrene.
So I followed mcbane666 suggestion and use sheet styrene, but with a shim ( 1 layer of N scale cork roadbed ).
See the pictures 1, 2 and 3

To Great Scaper: I like the idea of using plywood. I don't have any plywood at home, but your suggestion gave me an idea: I checked the height of one of my structures with a piece of Masonite under it and it gives a perfect height. just flush with the top of the ties. I already made some bases using cork roadbed and sheet styrene but for sure my next layout will use masonite as base for the roads and buildings.
See pictures 4 and 5

Jacques

CorkBase1.jpg

CorkBase2.jpg

Corkbase3.jpg

Masonite1.jpg

Masonite2.jpg

mcbane666

Dec 30, 2006
Edmonton AB
web.mac.com
lol so what your saying is my way works (lol i just came up with it at the top of my head)

and you found an even better way.

so that 5 dollars for my service, plus 5 dollars for posting my idea in a photo, plus ten dollars for mentioning i had a good idea, you can either write a cheque for 20 Canadian dollars, or just keep posting lots of photo's:canada1:

Hey have you ever looked at this guys website? I don't think he's taking anymore emails. It also seems he's wrapped up his N scale project.

I have gotten some awesome ideas off this guys work. Just incredible street and city details.

I love how he worked his streets and rails etc.

Google Image Result for http://japanese-trains.com/setagaya/101_0174.jpg

This is page one of his website!
Google Image Result for http://japanese-trains.com/setagaya/101_0174.jpg

Doug's latest projects are posted on his blog:

JMTN blog

Tomix building kit-bash « JMTN blog

‘Enoden’ Diorama progress report « JMTN blog

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I've used cork, foam core, styrene, "recycled" cardboard from mailing boxes received... whatever's handy, works, and looks right.
I used sheet styrene and cork roadbed because I just used those 2 items for laying the concrete road.

To bill937ca: thanks for the links, I particularly admire the Enoden diorama. The author detailed every step to build it.

Jacques