Barge to rail

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've been working on an industry that transfers bulk commodities such as coal, sand, or aggregates from river barges to hoppers on a track along the shore. This structure is based on a kit I've seen in many model RR photographs. I think its originally a rock crusher. For my purposes it stores commodities until freight cars on a track behind it are ready to load.
Ralph

Attachments

• bldg1.jpg
    bldg1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 216

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here's another shot. I made the cilos from metal chain link fence post caps. The rest is strip wood and assorted doo dads from my scrap box.

Attachments

• bulk2.jpg
    bulk2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 217

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The coal in the barge is a removeable "eoad". Its aquarium sand glued to a piece of florist foam carved to shape.
Ralph

Attachments

• bulk4.jpg
    bulk4.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 203

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ralph:
I like the look of it too.
Suggestion for an alternate eoad: have one with some piles in it. I have some that were made from the "egg crate" type foam packing that computer boards (used to) come in. You get some that doesn't have too high bumps and cut along the side of the bumps to the dimensions of your barge (or hopper/gondola/...). Then add the aquarium sand.

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Very cool. The very thought reminds me of sitting atop of an old Erie Lackawanna covered hopper in the the middle of what was once the Lehigh Valley's Greenville NJ yards watching them unload gons of scrap metal into cargo ships bound for Japan back in the mid 80's. If you want some more ideas about that kind of operation, do a search on Cleveland rail operations on Lake Erie. They had tons of that sort of thing.