Barge to rail

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Ralph, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I've been working on an industry that transfers bulk commodities such as coal, sand, or aggregates from river barges to hoppers on a track along the shore. This structure is based on a kit I've seen in many model RR photographs. I think its originally a rock crusher. For my purposes it stores commodities until freight cars on a track behind it are ready to load.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Here's another shot. I made the cilos from metal chain link fence post caps. The rest is strip wood and assorted doo dads from my scrap box.

Attached Files:

3. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

That first picture is wrong. Here's what it was supposed to be.

Attached Files:

4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I "imagineered" an unloader that is connected to the cilos via conveyors.

Attached Files:

5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

The coal in the barge is a removeable "eoad". Its aquarium sand glued to a piece of florist foam carved to shape.

Attached Files:

6. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Nice structure and an interesting industry for a layout
    nice work
  7. Nice work, Ralph! I like your use of the fencepost caps. Great job... I'm a big fan of rail-marine ops...

Jim :cool: :cool: :cool:
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I like the look of it too.
    Suggestion for an alternate eoad: have one with some piles in it. I have some that were made from the "egg crate" type foam packing that computer boards (used to) come in. You get some that doesn't have too high bumps and cut along the side of the bumps to the dimensions of your barge (or hopper/gondola/...). Then add the aquarium sand.
  9. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Great idea David! Thanks!
  10. Blake

Blake Member

Very cool. The very thought reminds me of sitting atop of an old Erie Lackawanna covered hopper in the the middle of what was once the Lehigh Valley's Greenville NJ yards watching them unload gons of scrap metal into cargo ships bound for Japan back in the mid 80's. If you want some more ideas about that kind of operation, do a search on Cleveland rail operations on Lake Erie. They had tons of that sort of thing.
  11. UP_STEVE

UP_STEVE Member

that looks great ralph! :D good work.
  12. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

What a novel thought for the tops of fence posts. :cool:

I'll keep that one in mind, I think. :)