Bar Mills Weathering Powders

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Starman, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Member

I would like to know if anyone has used these to weather anything and what is your opinon on this product. I have never done any weathering yet so i really need some advice on how to start. Is there any sites to go to that would give you step by step instuctions on how to start weathering your rolling stock or even your locomotives. Any advice would be helpful and i would apprecated greatly. Sorry about spelling. I also have some buildings that i want to do some weathering to so i really do need the help here.I read somewhere that you can mix the powders together to get differant looks to things so please help.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I have not used them (although I have used some "standard" chalks).

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you'll see a short list of threads that might contain useful info - at least according to the semi-intelligent s/w working behind the scenes...

You can also try our search function. Since the weathering forum is (relatively) new, there may be useful info elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

3. e-paw

e-paw Member

They look pretty good but ,I had problems keeping the power stuck to the models. I later got an airbrush and can get the same or better results with that.
  4. Smoke

Smoke SOU is for you!!

Weathering powders are great! They are like pastel chalks but have an agent in them that helps them stick to the model. Weathering posders are great for fades, diesel exhaust, and dust. The rust colors also are good for the tops of boxcars, weathering rails, and structures. I ues both pastel chalks and weathering powders, as each have thier own uses.

If you want to get more info go to

Good Luck!!

5. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I've just visited the website a few times over the last couple years - lots of amazingly well done projects. (But unfortunately, there's very little Nscale weathering that I could find, almost everything was HO. I'd really like to find some good Nscale weathering information...I've already found that with the smaller scale, it's tougher to replicate the subtle shading that's possible on larger scales like HO and O.) But there's lots of information you can glean from the critiques of completed projects on modeltrainsweathered.