Banged-Up Metal

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
One of those things that I think gives away an uber-realistic model photo is the fact that the car's (or engine) surfaces are too smooth. Is there a way to represent those little dings and dents on a plastic model? (I'm sure those who use brass don't have this problem)

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Charles , the old tried and true ' hot screwdriver ' method is as good as any with styrene. Practice on some scrap pieces first of course , to get a feel for it . If doing a gon , work from the inside of the car . A flat screwdriver works best . Don't use a flame on the plastic .

NEIL

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Charles, I totally agree!! If you look at prototype tenders especially, you can see those wavy sides. Another thing I've noticed is that they're a lot shinier than we usually paint them. Shiny, with dirt and dust, rather that a completely matte finish.

Hot screwdriver sounds like a good idea.

Val

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
Sounds a bit dangerous, but I think I'll try the screwdriver thing. And you're absolutely right spitfire, prototype locos can be quite shiny, especially if you model the early 40's. Take a look:
1a34807r.jpg

Now, the thought of touching my Bachmann 2-8-0 with a hot screwdriver seems a bit frightening.

kjd

Sep 9, 2004
seattle
I think the small dents in the photo could be represented more safely by sanding with a small round sanding stick. Again practice on scrap and see how it goes. I don't know how I would represent the sheet metal deflections seen on diesel hood doors. I wonder if some of the shine in the photo above is water from the steam cleaning.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
you know that you can model dings and dents without actually having to mutilate your Loco's and rolling stock right?

if you use the right apinting techniques you can accomplish a unit that looks banged up from a distance (as most will be viewed from a distance). for dents you'd paint an area a little lighter then the color already present, and slowly working darker to the middle of where you want the dent to be.

There's books out there on how to properly paint an item to appear worn, dented, ect without actually having to melt the plastic or scrap the metal.

why ruin a perfectly good item just to make it look more realistic when there's a perfectly good way to do it with paint?

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
For heavy weathering I prefer painting with brushes. This MDC C-25 was spray painted first to represent a clean engine, then I made a light overspray with dust and grime for a normal weathering.
But then I went perhaps a bit overboard with dirty washes and drybrushing all sorts of dust, rust and dirt. I find that the streaky appearance of heavy grime and soot is best made with brushes.

So IMO she doesn't only look dirty, but also quite a bit banged up (look at the shiny part of the smokebox!), although the surface isn't scratched at all.
So you even might paint her again als shiny and new if you don't like all that dirt. :thumb:

Ron

Attachments

• C-25.jpg
    C-25.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 320

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
You may want to think about adding weld spots as well.This is done by using wire less the ten Thousandths OD glue to where you would like to have a spot weld repair..You can crack you door glass by using a hobby knife and very carefully place a very light line on you glass-usually on the doors from the bottom up like this: \ or this /-not to large or to long.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Ron that engine has seen better days!!!

Not that I am any kind of expert on loco weathering (having only attempted one), but I would think the light spray of dust (from the bottom) and soot (from the top) should be the last coat.

Engines rust, water and steam leaves scale, paint peels off the smokebox. These things happen over time. The dust kicked up from the rails, and the soot fallout from the smokestack build up on top of these other things, and are often cleaned off between trips. So they should go on last.

From a modelling standpoint, I think this would have the added benefit of blending some of the weathering, so that it's not so stark.

Just a thought. :)

Val

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
OK guy's i have to make this short and sweet because i'm waiting on a phone call. but as all my other post's you notice my very hard study of books and mag's. Model Railroading (not railroader) get a copy of the Model Railroading June,04 mag. it will have the artical on modeling a New York Central 60' Appliance box car.(page 28) i dunno how the guy did it but with just a bit of paint he put all of the scratch's and dings from opening and closing the doors to just plan old day to day use. the pictures are great and has a get explanation on how it was done and the detail, i tell you what, is something else... what a sight to see.

Charles