ballast

lawnchoker

was looking at a ballast supplyer, brennens o guage supply has a crushed granit product that looks cool, comes in a 5lb bag for 15.95 question is how far would that go on 3rail atlas track thanks jeff

pcentral

Hi Jeff,
It's me again. I'm not familiar with their products, so I'm sure how far it will cover. I use oil absorbant from auto parts stores. It comes in 50 lb. bags for a few dollars. I have covered about 160 feet of Gargraves S gauge track and around 200 feet of O gauge tubular track with the one bag and still have a few pounds left. If their product is similiar in texture this should give you a rough idea. Also, I found that ZW at www.islandtrains.com for 329.00 with free shipping, its not much difference but every bit helps. Steve

lawnchoker

thanks steve, i tried the floor dry at work the other day, used the glue water soap treatment worked good but leaves a white dust on my ties when i spread it, tried a kwick rinse but dust comes right back, size looks great, let me know if you have a fix for the dust, based on your guess looks like about 25lb or so to do 200ft on my layout, about 100.00 for ballast, bit much but that will be one of the last things to do, island trains is where i bought the starter set & the atlas track best prices ive found nice people to deal with will use them for the zw thanks jeff

pcentral

I use a eye dropper to apply the glue with. I picked up a pack of twoat the local drug store for a couple dollars. I put a couple drops of the glue mix in between each tie and inside the rails and let it spread out. Then if needed, go back and add a few drops along the outside of the track. As for the dust residue left behind, you might try wiping it with a rag with a little WD40 on it. This might take it off, I think that is what I used on the tinplate track. I am going to start rebuilding (replacing) some of my traveling layout and I will installing Atlas track. When I do I will let you know how the ballast comes out. Merry Christmas to you and your family,Steve