ballast

blahblahtrain

i was wonder if some course salt spray painted would make good ballast? or if anybody else has anygood ideas that i could use for ballast thats not very expensive

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I just went to Home Depot today and was getting some lumber when I saw a 50 lb. bag of sand. This stuff is only $5.00 for 50ibs. and can be used for all kinds of things.

It is enough to last a life in model railroading and it was only $5.00. bounce7 It beats buying a $5.00 bag that has only 11 oz. in it.

I don't think using coarse salt is a good idea.

For one thing, some of it would dissolve when you try to wet it to glue it down, and that might lead to corrosion of the tracks or any other electrically-conducting metal it comes it contact with.

Just my $0.02..

abutt

Salt!!!

Salt is a chemical. We all know what happens when it becomes wet. I don't see where the use of the many types of ballast available is going to be so costly as to be a problem.

I'm trying to recall the last time the cost of ballast was a problem.

Maybe quit smoking, stop eating...after all we only work to support out hobby.

Allan:D

jim currie

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: I will second Allen if you live where there is humidity salt will affect most any metal. if you buy a bag of sand blasting sand it is screened and washed.

RailRon

Welcome to the Gauge!

For me, using salt as ballast is definitely NOT a good idea. With changes in humidity and temperature lots of salt grains will disintegrate into a very fine dust which in turn will be blown all over the place. Also into your engines... :(

Together with air humidity this powder will wreak havoc with ferrous metals (steel axles), soldered connections (e.g. in electric motors, in turnouts, at feederwires soldered to the rails...) :eek:

I'd say: Hands off from using salt as ballast!

Ron

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I'm with the rest who advise against using salt, but if you're still curious tack a small piece of track and roadbed to a board and make a sample diorama to see how it works before applying it to your layout.
Ralph