Ballast question.

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
I have a small 4 x4 Christmas tree layout I'm working on. I ordered some supplies from my favorite online store. One of the items was ballast. I believe most people use different size ballast and maybe even colors... What sizes do you use for Ho? I bought fine and it seems too small. Should I buy a medium now with a minor variation in color? The ballast will not be exposed as much as most layouts... I'm covering it with woodland scenics snow.

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
I have found that fine ballast seems right for HO as well. I have a bit of coarse and medium that I acquired at some point, but both look too coarse. I expect to use them for other landscaping items.

As far as colors go -- well, you see it all out there on the prototype. Railroads will use whatever they have on hand, and it is often mixed up as well.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
I plan to mix mine, medium vase, with fine around the ties. If you look at ballast close, on well used lines, if it hasn't been done the larger parts are lower, and the stuff around the rails is more "ground down". At least thats what I've seen.

However, not to hijack this thread, but, Mountain Modelcraft makes a ballast I'd like. The BNSF/UP grey ballast, its real rock, but on their website it doesn't show it, anyone know where I can get it besides on eBay? Also, what does everyone suggest for the pink ballast used on Cajon pass in various places?

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I use medium then apply a bit of fine on top. I use the same color as otherwise you get a salt and pepper look. I weather the ballast in the glueing stage, by mixing india ink with the wetting solution. This eliminates the monotone effect of the one color ballast.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
jbaakko said:
I plan to mix mine, medium vase, with fine around the ties. If you look at ballast close, on well used lines, if it hasn't been done the larger parts are lower, and the stuff around the rails is more "ground down". At least thats what I've seen.

However, not to hijack this thread, but, Mountain Modelcraft makes a ballast I'd like. The BNSF/UP grey ballast, its real rock, but on their website it doesn't show it, anyone know where I can get it besides on eBay? Also, what does everyone suggest for the pink ballast used on Cajon pass in various places?

Arizona Rock makes all sorts of colors of ballast material including BNSF's pink ballast.
www.rrscenery.com

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
I'm actually modeling the IC lines in Illinois for my main layout. (Still in the planning stage) I'm told that the the ballast was mainly "Slag" If I understand correctly slag is a by product from Iron works.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing any iron works in Illinois. Why would they use Slag?
When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's I remember a ballast that almost looked like volcanic rock. Also remember seeing some rock with shinny smooth sides (Maybe from a part cracked off)

JAyers

Sep 9, 2004
jflessne said:
I'm actually modeling the IC lines in Illinois for my main layout. (Still in the planning stage) I'm told that the the ballast was mainly "Slag" If I understand correctly slag is a by product from Iron works.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing any iron works in Illinois. Why would they use Slag?
When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's I remember a ballast that almost looked like volcanic rock. Also remember seeing some rock with shinny smooth sides (Maybe from a part cracked off)

You just described slag.

Dunno where they got it, but plenty of iron ore came south form canada and Northern Michigan (and others I suppose). I'm sure there's smelters somewhere. Detroit's Ford River Rouge plant used to smelt its own steel....

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
Gary Indiana was a major steel center, and right across the Illinois border. Being a rust belt state, there were almost certainly other steel mills which were in Illinois. Plus remember that IC served other states, there's no telling if the slag came from Illinois or somewhere further south.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
The Copper Range, Mineral Range, C&H & Q&TL RR's from Houghton county, MI, used a varity of stuff, from "stamp sand" which is just crushed rock left over from copper smelting, to limestone (WHITE as white can be). The stamp sand looked like, well sand! So I'd say, again, anything from medium to fine.

-Russ, I've checked out AZ rock & mineral, many times, but I'm not completely sure what color of red to choose. The Model Mountaincraft stuff is a neat grey mix.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
jbaakko said:
-Russ, I've checked out AZ rock & mineral, many times, but I'm not completely sure what color of red to choose. The Model Mountaincraft stuff is a neat grey mix.

If you go to the link I posted, click on "Arizona Rock Scenery Catalog" and scroll down almost halfway. You will find a listing for "Atcheson, Topeka, & Santa Fe" that will be the correct color rock for the pink ballast the Santa Fe uses. I think I would order 1 package of both #1171 & 1172 to see which size is best for your use.

Max

Nov 1, 2006
Would it be unwise to use regular sand for ballast? Then paint it once it is laid?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You also want to be careful that you don't get any ocean beach sand. The salt would be very corrosive. If you are starting with childrens sand box sand, it would probably work. If you have a source for sand that you are digging up yourself, run a magnet through it as well to make sure there are no iron particles in it.

Max

Nov 1, 2006
I was originally planning to use builder's sand since I had 250 lbs of it already. I screened some down fairly fine, but then I heard the sand will get up in the locomotives and abrade the electric motors. My second plan is to use crushed walnut polishing media, which is what the Woodland Scenics ballast seems to be, but I haven't decided whether to dye it first or paint it after it is laid. The polishing media walnut is only about a dollar a pound, rather than 9 bucks for 32 oz of Woodland, but I haven't managed to make a gray dye yet.

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
It works. Straight alcohol, wetting it down. Once it's soaked through, very dilluted glue and 12 hours of drying time. Don't rush it! And don't do more than about 1-2 feet at once. It's the best most painless method I've ever used, and it made me stop hating ballasting.

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Russ Bellinis said:
You also want to be careful that you don't get any ocean beach sand.
I really don't think this would be a problem as long as you have washed it. Clean quartz sand will not harbor any salt. It's also well-sorted, though it may not be the grain size you want, and it may look -- well -- like sand.
I also would not think the sandy particles getting loose and messing up the works would be a problem if it is all glued down.