Ballast coming along

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Mar 19, 2004.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Yep, after getting all excited about my easy ballast method I decided I didn't like the colour (cinders) as it would make for too abrupt a transition between ballast and ground.

Talking to Alex in chat, he suggested using the colour I really wanted, and with that in mind I got re-energized to get back to it.

Here's a first progress shot.

:D Val

Attached Files:

2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

And here's a closer look at the junk pile which you can just barely see in the top left of the first photo. I'm adding to it gradually as I find things that look good.

Attached Files:

• junk.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks good Val but you shouldn't feel concerned about abrupt transition from ballast to ground as if you look at the real world, you can often see that ballast is a very different colour compared to the ground.
  4. interurban

interurban Active Member

Good for you Val,, it`s got to look right ,right!!!!!
    And it is looking Goooooooood:wave:
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Cool! Looking good! As for a carefully placed junk pile....:)
    Seriously, the care you take in finding "good junk" will really enhance the scene!
  6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks guys!

If only I could get those trackside areas and loading docks as cluttered as my desk that would be prototypical!!!

:rolleyes: Val
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Rome didn't decay in a day!'re off to a good start!;) :D :D :D
  8. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Looks great, Val!:thumb:
  9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Val,
    Looks real good to me, colour looks okay as well. Nice photo:thumb:
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks a lot folks. I'm so glad I finally got over my indecision regarding colour. As I mentioned in the "Most Challenging" thread, for me one of the biggest hurdles is simply making up my mind. Once I've done that, getting the work done is the easy part!

:rolleyes: Val
  11. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

"for me one of the biggest hurdles is simply making up my mind. Once I've done that, getting the work done is the easy part!"

That's all well and good for you, Val. Making up my mind is like making up a bed with no sheets or blankets.

12. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Your ballasting looks to be right on par with all your other work...excellent. :thumb: I like the colour choice, too.
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

And my mind is more like an unmade bed......with a cat sleeping on it.

:D Val
  14. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Going off that..... Heres what mine looks like...

Attached Files: