Baldwin pics

F

Fred_M

That picture suprises me Jim. I would of assumed that the amount of time it takes to build a loco that they would of been delivered one or two at a time as built. Also, that's a 4-6-0 pulling them, another suprise. I would of thought they would use a new loco to pull the rest. FRED

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
dash10 said:
That picture suprises me Jim. I would of assumed that the amount of time it takes to build a loco that they would of been delivered one or two at a time as built. Also, that's a 4-6-0 pulling them, another suprise. I would of thought they would use a new loco to pull the rest. FRED

No, because then youu would be putting "Hours on the new loco. They want them "New" :)

Also - different companies wanted them at different ways.. some all at once... in one delievery. Some "as they built them" but you would pay a bunch for shipping that way. Remember - most were shipped over other railway lines - so you would have to pay the PRR or the B&O or the Reading to ship. better one payment than 20 :( :( :(

F

Fred_M

I don't know much about that part of train history. I can follow what you are saying Mikey. It still suprises me though. Cash flow and all. And I personally would want a tested loco. Better it split before I took delivery. :D Anyway, thanks for the history lesson. :thumb: :thumb: FRED

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
Cooooooooooooooooooooooool.

It would take a wee while to model that scene though :D

I notice the locos are compounds.

I would have thought that with a combination of Victorian engineering standards and the fact the the steam loco is really a fairly low tech piece of kit the El owners wouldn't have expected too much trouble from the new locos. The boilers would all have had to be tested at the works before they could be sent out and if you can tow the locos fine then the rest of it should be tested enough by that.

Neil