Bad Order Car

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
This happens from time to time. A Bad Order car is being set out. This car was improperly loaded and now the load has shifted causing it to lean enough that it has to be set out.

Attachments

• 930 (Small).jpg
    930 (Small).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 134

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
A nice touch and a part of operations often overlooked. I'm sometimes guilty of using the 0-5-0 to remove a troublesome car from a train, but your approach is much more prototypical. I like your street scene alongside the tracks, too.

Wayne

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
doctorwayne said:
A nice touch and a part of operations often overlooked. I'm sometimes guilty of using the 0-5-0 to remove a troublesome car from a train, but your approach is much more prototypical. I like your street scene alongside the tracks, too.

Wayne

Hey! You've got a pair of 0-5-0s too? Must be the most popular loco in model railroading.

So speaking of removing cars and engines from the track, do you guys have a specific location that you're "allowed" to touch them? Do you enforce such rules? It would seem to be easy enough to have a car shop and an engine shop with removable roofs that you must put the unit into before you can lift it off the rails.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
TruckLover said:
COOL!!!:thumb: :thumb:

Great idea for a picture. I have a box car that does that to, Do you know why it does that?? Does it have something to do with the weight?

Could be that the weight is off center. That's pretty easily fixed.

I have a tank car that sits wobbly as well, but that's actually my fault. It was a Tyco or something brand and I had to modify the truck mounting section. I didn't file the new surface to level so the car leans on one truck. I just need to redo that end and it should be fine. You might want to check the same thing.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
A lot of times, a car will lean if the screws holding the trucks in place are too loose. I had a number of Athearn 34' hoppers with this problem, very exciting when you run trains with loose loads. Those loads may have contributed to the problem too, as a loaded hopper weighs about eight ounces. The problem was traced to the screw mounting bosses, which protrude from the underside of the slopesheets. Most of them had split, rendering them useless for holding the screw in place. Most were fixed by glueing the bosses back together, allowing them to cure fully before reinserting the screws. Others required glueing, plus filling the hole with styrene rod, then redrilling for the screw.
In this photo, the Athearns are empty, while the loaded car is from Stewart.

100_5896.jpg

Wayne

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Thanks Guys:wave: That car had loose truck screws, guess I didn't get them tight enough when I painted the wheels. :eek:ops:

I use the o-5-o method too but try to do everything prototypical as much as possible. For those out of reach places when something happens I have one of those extended graber thingys..:)