Background experiments

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
First I must apologise for the poor quality pictures my cheepie digital camera takes but this is just to give you an idea of what I am trying to do here. I look through the Saturday newspaper and find interesting building pictures and ads for new condos and such. I have collected a few of these of a size appropriate for N gauge and placed them on the background in the city of Maberly.
Here is my first attempt.
eba00157592f00000091.jpg

The second picture is a downtown Toronto scene I have added to the Maberly background.
eba00157592f00000092.jpg

So far I am pleased with the look and I just wished they showed up better here.
I will continue to collect these great building pictures and use them in my backgrounds around the layout.
Have any of you attempted anything like this?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
No, but then all the papers around here only come out once a week in black and white. Besides we don't have any buildings over 4 stories anyway around here. Interesting idea, can't wait to see what it looks like with some finished scenery in front of it Robin. :cool:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Robin!
My hat is off to you, my friend...
You have to be one of the most resourceful modelers I've ever come across!
Not only resourceful, but also able to produce top-notch results!
Looking forward to seeing your cities grow!

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
more on paper backdrops

Very good concept, I never thought of newspapers. There are other opportunities to make unique paper backdrops. I get old travel brochures and find likely buildings for distant scenes. Then I cut them close to finish size and arrange as many as possible on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with scotch tape. Then it's off to a local photocopy shop to have the sheet color copied on to bond paper for 2 bucks. There is no more glossy finish, and you only have to cut out your buildings. I use the 'original' glossy ones to experiment with on the backdrop, keeping the photocopy intact and clean until ready.
Another source for pictures for this photocopy treatment is the Walthers catalog. regards / Mike

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Tyson, I need to waterproof these newspaper pictures as I am sure that water drops would show up. I will spray them with a sealer like artists use to seal pastel drawings. I think colours may fade in time but it is still an unknown as no sunlight gets into my basement. Can't say what artificial lighting will do.

Thanks Mike for you suggestions which will add to what I am trying to do here.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Fading and etc

Hi Robin, Down here in the "deep south" the newsprint wouldn't last very long...just too much going on with humidity and "crawly things" that like to eat it!!!:D :D :D

Florescent lighting will cause the image to fade much faster than incandescant lighting as it has a higher UV factor. If you have florescent lights you can buy UV shields that slip over the tubes.

You might want to try overspraying the prints with Krylon Crystal Clear. Its neither flat nor gloss...just clear. Be sparing though because newspapers today for the most part are printed with inks that are based on vegetable dyes and it could make the print run.