Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by david36, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david36

david36 New Member

I need backdrops for my HO layout. What are the common sources for backdrops? I heard of Backdropwherehouse but could not find them on the web. Any suggestions?
  2. Pete

Pete Member

3. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi David36

If money is a problem backdropwarehouse is very expensive. They do have very beautiful ones and big choices. Walthers also has backdrops and a lot cheaper. Go to there website and check out these three. 180515 180516 180517

4. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

The backdropwarehouse is somewhat pricey, but their selection is fantastic.
  5. pdt

pdt Member

Before you go out and spend tons of money on backdrops that could otherwise be spent on trains, have a look at this: This is the single most impressive demonstration of how to create your own backdrops I've found yet. The results are stunning.
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I agree with RC, Gavin Miller does stunning backdrops. :thumb: I find that doing it yourself, even if the results are not fantastic like those, gives you a sence of ownership and pride you might not get from buying store bought items. But I'm at heart a scratch builder. Fred
  7. cobra

cobra Member

Fred , I got 3 from Peach Creek Hobby in Maryland . They have a variety of reasonably priced backdrops but were the only ones I could find with a steel mill setting for a good price .Try and see what you think . Look under 'bachdrops' located in the middle of their home page .

8. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

So any thoughts which would be best for New Mexico - dry wash desert ? or saguaro desert ? or maybe the desert to mountains ?
  9. pdt

pdt Member

Where in New Mexico are you talking about?
  10. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Tucumcari <--> Alamogordo (northeast I guess).
  11. pdt

pdt Member

That's really not saguaro country, as far as I can remember, and there's really no mountains to speak of out in the east. The terrain is really like crumpled aluminum foil laid flat again. There are lots of gullies, like miniature mountain ranges, with only a few hills rising up above the horizon. The color is more of a washed out gray-yellow than the orange you'll find farther west, which is the typcial caricature of the desert southwest.

This is the kind of terrain that's hard to "capture" in a photo. You get your film back and wonder why you took pictures of nothing. But it's really something to behold in person. Overall, I'd say the silent stillness struck me the most about the area.

Anyway, just based on the descriptions you provided, presumably names of backdrops, I'd go with the desert wash. Again, I'd paint my own if I had it to do.
  12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

A pics worth a 1000. Here NE NewMexico spring of this year from AmTrak on the old ATSF trackage.

Attached Files:

• NM1.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
  13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

As you get closer to Colorado, (noorth and east it looks like this.

Attached Files:

• NM2.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
  14. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

And from Mt Sandia near Albuquerque.

Attached Files:

• MN3.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
  15. tgage

tgage New Member

I bought several backdrops from Backdrop Warehouse ( ). It took some time to decide since they have so many choices. I used mockup to test my choices and had 2 blends (they call them transitions) which makes mine unique from any others. They were a little slow on delivery (2 1/2 weeks) but they are custom printed so I guess it is ok. Looks really great on my layout, well worth the money. I wasn't interested in the $9 prints and painting isn't my thing. Am looking now for cutout buildings to add to the real ones.
  16. petey

petey Member

Gavin does great work!!
    David36, I lived in Alamogordo (southcentral) for thirty-five years. I purchased two of Walthers Instant Horizons which I will sell for $10. I chose Country to Desert, and to get a little bit of a village look, Eastern Foothills. Let me know if you are interested in them. .

I tried backdropwarehouse about six times. I was overwhelmed with the choices, and the going-back-and-forth, trying to keep in mind what I had just looked at, etc....... I had to give it up. When I tried the defect items, I was steered to another site, which consistently brought up the wrong price. Altogether, to difficult for me, maybe I've suffered some mental dry rot.
  17. tgage

tgage New Member

Petey, One way to solve remembering not only for backdropwarehouse but any site is to open multiple browsers. You can save a choice on one browser and open another. You can have 10, 20 .... browser choices open then go back and resize each to look at them at the same time. We do this all the time when you want to compare and even across different sites.

I was curious how you knew the blemish price was wrong? I have looked at blemishes but never bought any. I hope they would be whatever price was shown.
  18. petey

petey Member

tgage, thanks for the tip.
    Concerning the pricing; backdropwarehouse stated their blemish products were $20, when I was moved to the other site to purchase, they came up at $50, no mention at that point that there was a $20 price. While the $20 price may have shown up after pursuing this further, after 3 times, I was not in the mood to continue.
  19. Dick Elmore

Dick Elmore Member

:wave: Dave...There's a fantastic article in the October issue of MR. by Mike Danneman on painting backdrops. Don't let it scare you though, Mike is a professional, but as he says " You don't have to be a professional artist to do a good job".

Texas Chief
  20. tgage

tgage New Member

Found out. I emailed them and asked why the price difference. Reason as follows - EB blemishs were moved off the main site to which is an automated mall with shopping cart for many shops including backdrop warehouse. Some old EB blemishes were still on blem page at $20 but the blem page is mostly for the full size background and backgrounds. Prices on modelmart vary. I checked and some are now about $9. At the time you looked there may not have been any at $20. They have fixed the problem and said if you send them an email before 9-1 they will give you 2 of the $9 ones n/c except $10 shipping. I assume they can verify your email against your registration here. Hope this answers the question. I wouldn't have wanted to purchase one for $20 and find it was $50
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.