Back Woods Water Tower Kit-bash

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
When I was at the train show a few months ago, one of the things I bought was a Campbell kit of "the back woods water tower". I decided to use strip wood to replace the corrugated tin. I really like the tin and want to save it for other more worthy models. Also, I got a bunch of strip wood that jon monon sent me that I have just been itching to use. I'm going to build the water tower as well, but I thought I would start with the shed.

Here are a few pix.

1- This is a pic of the kit

2- The shed as it is today. I have a few other ideas I may try to age the wood more.

3- This kit had no chimney so I made one out of styrene. The roof cap is tin foil.

4- This is a shot of the shed from the back corner. The lighting is a little better and you can see the tone on the wood more like it appears live.

5- Mr Smith thinks the shed is for him, and he wants to move his horse in.

I'll post more as it happens.

TrainClown ;)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 115
  • shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 100
  • shedrustystuff.jpg
    shedrustystuff.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 152
  • shedbackcorner.jpg
    shedbackcorner.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 115
  • shed Mr Smith 2.jpg
    shed Mr Smith 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 124

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice work Chris! I like the replacement "shingles" almost better than the tin roof that was supposed to be there... :thumb: :thumb: Looks like MR Smith has got himself a right nice shed ;)

Andrew

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
Shouldn't that be "Mr Vander Smith"? He looks dutch to me, what with the klompen and all...

Nice work! How'd you make the nail holes in the boards?

N

nachoman

those nail holes look great. i am going to have to try that on my next project.

kevin

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks lads. I wasn't happy with the way the shingles are too thick in parts. I got some real ceder that the next bunch will be split from. :thumb:

The nail holes are made with a needle to make the hole and a .05 mm mechanical pencil to add the black spot.

I'm not happy with the way there are no gaps between the boards. I think it would have looked better with a slight gap.:rolleyes:

TrainClown ;)