Back to the drawing board...

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Lex, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hi guys. --With the recent lack of computer, I've decided to have a taste of what it feels like to design a model before computers were invented (or before the time when we all had one at home :oops: --Sorry I know a lot people are still designing in this way, no offence intended :D) So I assembled my old-fashioned model design equipment including pencil and set square, only that now I have a calculator at hand so that relieves all the look-ups to do on sine tables, as I would have done back in primary school......... The project of choice is the battlecruiser Scharnhorst at 1/700 scale waterline, and I was too dismayed that after 2 hours of number-crunching I only managed to complete a single turret (okay make that a 3 with copying).........sign1 (but hey, I managed to make the barrels move! That's an achievement --yea right wall1)

I have no idea of where this is going... hopefully I'll complete the design, with enough incentives perhaps ^^
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

1 pic :mad:? 1 pic :mad:? are u ok?

i whant more more more

its looks more clen than a computer design hahaha :)
  3. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I'm old enough to remember when a hand-held calculator was called

4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

that is awsome. I have no clue and am too stupid to design in this mannor.youre craftsmanship is just superior!! this is going to be an amazing model!!
  5. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

is not that hard to design thar is alot of taturila on this forum about design model :)

if u need links just let me know :0

i lurn use rhino over this forum

so if i can any one can :)
  6. redhorse

redhorse Member

Holy Cow Lex!! Now that you've finished your exams, you're going crazy - moving guns in 1/700th!!! and in 2 hours??? Wow!!!! It looks great!
  7. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Evidently another old f**t out there. Your work is almost enough to tempt me to break out my old drafting tools. Not enough mind you, but almost. Heh. Beautiful work!
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

That turret looks great! Nice work!
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

10. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Welcome to the old school, young man. Tech tip: when measuring from a drawing, use a strip of cardstock and a pen to make "tick" marks on the card to denote the distances between the points you are measuring. Bend or curve the card around perimeters or curves to measure those distances.

Saves a lot of headscratching.

BTW, Lex, you're doing well. I wouldn't be able to do that turret, movable guns or not, in under five hours, and I've been old school scratchbuilding for quite a while.:wave:
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks guys!-- And great tip Mark! There's much I need to learn from your hand-drawn cars :D

No photos for this update, but I completed drafting the single/double secondary turrets, twin AA, searchlights, radars and... well, almost anything functional on the ship. --Also the aircraft hangar and the waterline hull itself. Therefore what's left is only the bulk of the superstructure itself. With so many parts it'll take sometime to testbuild them all... --But I trust my maths!

The only thing I need now is a fine tip pen to draw very thin lines. And... any idea of how I can colour the model? Colour pencils? Acrylic? Enamel model paint? Or shall I do it in photoshop...?
  12. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Another old school tip: coloured paper. Art supply stores and craft stores often carry large selections of heavy paper and cardstock. The variety available is so extensive, that I've been able match the colours of the real cars to the models.
  13. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Before the rise of the computer, I used Rotring rapidograph and isograph pens.
    They are still available, and I highly recommend them.

More info:
    rotring - products

14. looker

looker Member

You mean you don't go back far enough to have used mapping pens and Indian ink?!!!!!!!:D In fact much cheaper disposable technical drawing pens are available if you look. No they're not so good, but good enough for this work. Oh, and did I mention they're much cheaper too.
  15. Mace

Mace Member

@Logicman: Rotring.....That brings back memories, That's the way I started when I was like 14 and designed my own models.

@ Lex: Beautiful work!!! I never ever managed to build something that small and with such detail!! Keep it up
  16. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Oh! I go back a lot further!

Why! I remember back at Lascaux, when us poor kids were using knives
    to scratch our designs on the walls at home - which made our mums very cross - and all the rich kids had those new-fangled tallow crayons.

Apologies to Lex for the brief hijack.