Back to Bare Bones

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Those darn @!$#^%&^% Pipes!

Originally posted by Matt Probst
Hi Ron! Thanks for your input as well. Regarding those darn water pipes; they are very thin and could never be believably "disguised". They run from the meter near floor level, straight up directly through that "ridiculous shelf thing" and disappear into the ceiling. Hell, if I owned this house, they would have been moved a long time ago and the shelf turned into campfire fodder. But since I don't, all must stay as is.:mad:

I thought about my bench work going over top as you suggested, but that would then require the pipes to run up thru my scenery!

Rats.
Matt--in... sick of the smell of Chocolatetown, USA
(Yes, it permeates the air!!;)

I saw a nice kit-bashed/scratch built chemical plant in an old Kalmbach book. (It was HO.) There was a mix of different sized storage tanks. The Larger tanks were from an oil refinery kit. The smaller storage tanks were old cigar tubes.

Making assumtions... The water pipes are likely to be standard 1/2" diameter. That's about the same size as a cigar tube. (Only much taller! :) )

It sounds to me that you have the perfect location for building the Iriquois Brewery in Buffalo! ;)

If the pipes are too thin, you can always wrap them with foam pipe insulation. (This might be a good idea anyway to reduce the chance of summer humidity condensation on the pipes ruining the scenery.) Then applying rivit embossed styrene or paper to the pipe.

Where the pipes reach above the height of the storage tanks, paint them to match the background. (i.e.: Paint them to blend in with the sky.)

Never say Never... :cool:

As far as odours go, I've got you beat... :p

Only a couple of blocks away from my house there is the Canamara Meat Processing/Packing plant. (Stink #1.) Less than a block away on the North East corner of my street is the Head Offices, Warehouse and Labs for Benjamin Moore Paints. (Stink #2.) At the South end of my street is a huge industrial Dry Cleaner called Topper. (Stink #3.) A couple of blocks South and one block East is National Rubber Industries. (Sulfer... Stink #4) And Lastly..... Canada Bread which give off the smell of baked bread most of the time, but occasionally burns a batch. (Stink #5.)

It's a real Pot-Pourrie. :D

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi Ron --Thanks again for your in-put!! Once I get my benchwork re-arranged in that area we're talking about, I'm going to attempt the backdrop in front of the pipes, on an angle, to hide them. If that turns into too much of a production, I'll take the "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" attitude towards them and do just as you have suggested in one fashion or another. As far as condensation goes there is none. My basement (luckily) is The Driest basement I've ever been in. There is low humidity, no sump pump, partially finished with carpet and wood paneling on half the walls. There has never been a drop of water in the basement from even the most horrific storms or hurricane type rains. Thank Goodness for that!:D (An HO scale Noah's arc I don't need to build!)

By the way, I'll think of your town ,when I'm driving home on a humid night, with the combination of chocolate and the local sewer treatment plant smells combining in the air and realize how lucky I am!!:D :) :D :) :D

Matt-Hershey, Pa.

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Matt,

Let me see if I can get a friend to get me some photo's of the brewery for you.

The GIS program we use overlays the black over the buildings and roads, track etc. I can turn that on or off. you just give me an area in NY and I can get you arial photo (unless it's security sensitive) and now we are getting better resolution photographs in some areas.

I have lived at one time or another in most of NY state. I grew up south of Buffalo, went to college in Buffalo, Have worked in Rochester, Syracuse, Albany (now), and Long Island. So anything you need let me know. And now that I have a new digital camera---- look out.

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Matt,

Like your logo, here is mine:
nyc1a.jpg