back from the shop

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello everyone---whenever the CN sends it's locomotives on lease to the EG&E,they know the equipment is in good hands---as a matter of fact,all the locomotives return in better shape than before they left---the boys from the Lowbanks' shops are all craftsmen and the pride they take in servicing their locomotives is legendary.So it comes as no surprise that when CN 4100 needed a snowloader installed,they called the experts.Here's a few pictures of the 4100 fresh from the shops

4100a001.jpg

4100a011.jpg

4100a024.jpg

4100a026.jpg

4100a033.jpg

4100a039.jpg

4100a054.jpg

4100a062.jpg

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
keep in mind there is no such thing as a stupid question just stupid people that ask questions but what are snowloaders?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Well, what was installed on the 4100 was the large pipe running from the engineer's side of the steam dome, along the upper side of the boiler, and terminating in a plug on the smokebox front. Both Mister Nutbar and I thought that this was for a snow "melter" - the original version of the jet-powered one that came later:
asnowblow.jpg

However, the term used in the CNR SIG Magazine called the device a Barber Green Snow Loader, although no explanation or photo of this device was offered. I googled "Barber Green Snow Loader", and it came back with a description of the device used to clear snow from city streets - it picks up the snow, then uses an integral conveyor to transfer it to waiting trucks. We are guessing that the railroad device was a steam-powered version that was pushed by the locomotive, gathering snow in yards or urban areas, and transferring it to gondolas, most likely between the loco and the loader. However, this is just a guess: we would welcome comments from anybody with more info on this machine and its operation. A photograph would be nice, too. ;)

Wayne

Sarge_7

Sep 30, 2007
Fort Sill, OK

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for posting those photos, Sarge_7. That looks more-or-less how I had pictured it would. I'm still curious how it was used by the railroad, though. I wonder if they simply used it to place the snow where they wanted it, rather than using a wedge or rotary plow, which puts it all over the place. Or did they use the device to pick-up the snow from urban-area tracks, then melt it before disposing of it trackside?

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Well nutbar, you know your #4100 is my favorite steamer that you have:winki: , and just when i thought it couldn't get any better, Wayne did his magic to it and made it even more AWESOME then it already was:thumb::mrgreen: .

GREAT ENGINE nutbar:thumb: , and OUTSTANDING JOB Wayne:bravo: .

:deano: -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
Thanks Deano---I am very lucky to have such a talented friend in Doctor Wayne who,as you well know,is the true talent as far as my collection goes---and thanks again to Sarge 7 who has solved the mystery of the snowloader---here's another shot of the 4100 rolling into Elfrida on the EG&E

4100a071.jpg