Back Burner

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by silverw, Jul 6, 2004.

1. silverw

silverw Member

Hey All...
    I've been working on this for a bout a year now, ....One of these days, I'll be getting it ready.. :oops:

The link above has more pictures... :)

2. silverw

silverw Member

And a couple pictures of the track and far :oops:

See Track 001 and 002 in my picture album.
  3. Ron

Ron Member

That's some very meticulous and inspiring workmanship! I can't wait to see more of it

All the best!

4. mark

mark Member

5. Bob Ebophalus

Bob Ebophalus Member

Looks fantastic. Will the tracks actually roll, or is it a static model?
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

That was my question.
    They should certainly be able to move but they may not be what you would call fully working.

What's the actual answer Bill ?

It's brilliant work.

7. silverw

silverw Member

High..Awl... :wink:

The very first thing that I put on the list of regquirements for this model was that the tracks should move. So, yes, they should be completely operational, by the time I'm done.

I wish I had more time to work on this....I might get another picture posted later tonite

8. silverw

silverw Member

pERHAPS A PICTURE OF WHERE i am going would be in order! :D

9. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

All I can say is WOW

That CAT is unbelievable! Man o man, impressive!!
    Great work Bill, I am overwhelmed.
    Just wondering, how much actual time
    invested so far? (rough guess)
    Increadible detail. :D
  10. Maurice

Maurice Member

Hey, knew where you were going. :D
    Two more questions though.
    Are the track pins paper and are the transverse lips on the track plates rigid ?

Oh and you'd better tell the general populace the scale. I think I know but better you give the right number.

Like I said it's brilliant.

11. silverw

silverw Member

Whoa, Butch...thanks, but as long as you realise that last pic is of the "real thing"(not the model). I only hope that the model looks as close as posible to that! :D
    Honestly, I have no idea how much time, so far. My other half could give you an estimate, but I wouldn't believe her. I did get lost in my cad program a while ago, and it said something about "1100 hours design time", but I think it keeps timing while I'm on a beer I mean coffee break! :oops:

I'm going to take a couple pictures to answer the questions for Maurice, maybe have a "coffee break", and post in a bit. :D

12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

ok, but what scale is it?
  13. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Mauice....

Yes the pins are paper, a roll, OD 1/8 inch. I think that will work, but if it proves not to be strong enough, they could be made with thicker walls, or 1/8 wood dowel. However, I would like to have only 'paper" if possible. Even the fan belt!

"transverse lips on the track plates", if you mean what I would call "cleats on the track pads" then yes of course they should be ridgid, it's all one piece of iron, in real life. That's one area I will have to do a little work on.

See Detail 1, 2, and 3 pictures in my album.

As far as scale goes...that's a little tougher to answer. There is a ruler in the foregroud of the pictures, but I guess it is kind of hard to see. I'm building this from a couple of pictures, and my memory(I used to own one, and I sure wish I still had the parts manual) so, some parts are the size that they are because it works, or it looks right! The model should be about 8 inches long, and I guess the real world tractor would be about 8 feet, so that would be 1:12, but don't hold me to that![​IMG]
  14. Maurice

Maurice Member

Thanks, brilliant continues to be my reaction.
    For the pins, have you tried simply soaking them in thin CA.
    For the cleats (the neuron receptors or whatever failed to fire for the right word last time), I suspect you may need to compromise with a hollow narrow triangular form in side profile. Hope that makes sense.
    I've been watching out for some time now for anyone else who could make working tracks solely in paper, although mine don't replicate the full size in the same way and are at a much smaller scale.
    Made my day.

15. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Maurice..
    Ya, the narrow triangle form is kinda what I have done, but then I inserted a layer of thicker stock in the hollow, and squished the whole thng together.

I would have liked to be at a smaller scale, in fact I originally started at about half this size. But my first goal was to have the tracks actually work, so I had to go larger, which became the determining factor in how I ended up at this scale.. I find that even at this scale, the tickness of the paper matters when making parts that have to move and fit together. For instance the teeth on the drive sprocket must be uniform and match the spacing of the track pins which must be uniform, if the track is going to run free and smooth. I built a jig (actually, several jigs!) to make the sprocket as acurate as possible. Each track pin fits through a bushing which is not glued and is slightly larger ID than the track pin. The bushings are what actually contacts the drive sprocket, and because they are free to move slightly, they can compensate for small differences.

Well, more later...maybe...sometime...
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I used to own a memory too, so I am told. But I don't remember....

Tim P

PS Cracking model by the way!
  17. silverw

silverw Member

Both interpretations apply equally well!
  18. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Bill

What a model :shock:

You have got to turn this in to a kit or a CD so we can build it, if you do put down for one.

19. Maurice

Maurice Member

Amusing how the diameter of the track pin must decide the scale of the whole model.
    I take it the bushing is as in full size practice.
    Bouncing an idea, how about filling the triangle with the fluffiest possible card, capillarying in some CA - then squishing - or it might be possible to leave the section square and avoid the squishing.
    I can relate to the "later...maybe...sometime..." bit.

20. silverw

silverw Member

Crawler tractor: was Back Burner

Ya, track pins that probably won't be hardly noticed anyway.

The bushings are there in real life, but they are pressed into the rail link and cannot move.