Back at it

DeckRoid

Hey there

So, I was one of the many unfortunate souls to recieve the Tyco's Chattanooga Rail Road box back in '77. The engine needed a swift kick in the butt to move on the track, the rolling stock jumped track at every corner as most of the wheels were oblong. But that didn't stop me from trying!

Now that I have kids of my own, and they get all excited by trains (who wouldnt?), I have reclaimed my train and track and some other gear from the attic back home. After a weekend of cleaning and laying track and trying to get the old train going I broke down and went to my local hobby shop. And wouldn't you know it, they had a HUGE sale on track and engines. I got enough track to cover a 4x8 plywood and have a few turnouts and industrial sidings. I even got a Bachmann Spectrum GE Dash8-40CW 60% off!! Whoo-hoo!!!

Now I just need to read up on DCC and the new connectors. (I call 'em new cuz my stuff has the old Tyco ones). Oh, and figure out how to wire the whole thing so I can have controlled switches and lights for buildings, and learn the best way to lay down the Grass Mat (paper) I got for 6 bucks with out making a HUGE mess (that green stuff was in my daughter's navel last night!). Oh, and how to... well, you get the picture.

Here's to many fun hours and some frustrating ones too!

N

nachoman

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

And congrats on getting back into the hobby. Don't junk the tyco just yet - you can find uses for nearly everything that came in that set. Trust me on this one.

Kevin

Jim Krause

Welcome: I know about the frustrations of dealing with those70's era train sets. I bought one for my son and spent more time working on it than he did running it. One of the big problems with the one my son had was the 9 inch track sections that were forever coming apart one place or another. I finally built a table that folded against the wall and nailed everything down.
There have been tremendous changes since then. Mostly for the good. Enjoy your reentry into the hobby and keep the grass out of the kid's navel.