Back at it

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I haven't been on much in the last several months due to 2 deaths in the family and our daughters marriage over the summer. Add the house renovation and who's had time.

I have now got a start! I know that I will catch heck over the 4x10 format for my layout but with space available, lack of skills for the planning and lack of local layouts that i can look at and learn from.... I did find that I can make it a 8x10 L layout and will be doing the bench work for that soon. I'm using a modified track plan from the Worlds Greatest Hobby layout in their vid. I'm using Life Like track with the built on road bed for 2 reason. 1 I had some to start with and 2 I've never been good a laying track! I think that I can build up terrain so that the track doesn't sit to high and spread a thin coat of ballast over it to make it look better. I did learn a lesson about building selection and the amount of space they take up, but with being able to add on i will be able to use it on the expansion.

Here are a few pictures of how its going.

Attachments

• Picture 166.jpg
    Picture 166.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 167.jpg
    Picture 167.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 168.jpg
    Picture 168.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 72

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Say, the black and grey roadbeds... They are not steel and nickel siver track is it? I heard that there might be some electrical issues with mixing two different metal types of track..

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
My only comment is the access to the back of the layout if and when you make it an 8X10. It may seem easy to climb over things now but the additional size plus the finished scenery will probably give you fits.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Tom according to what was on the packaging it's all nickle silver.

Jim, i know but with the space available....old farm house, the basement is 13x20, the water pump for the well, heater, water heater & storage for my other hobby....home made beer and wine....