Bachmann's Centennial N-scale Set

Hey Guys,
Does the N-scale Bachmann Centennial Set (#24007) run alright? It's their Standard line, not plus or spectrum, so i'm wondering if that means it's of a lesser quality? How easy is it to put a decoder in it?

I'm not deadset on getting it, nor am i sure i can afford it, but if it runs well, i might put a little more effort into trying to get it...it looks like it could be an interesting addition to my layout.

AR

dwolson

Jul 24, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't buy any standard Bachmann set. Do you have any train stuff yet (engine, track, transformer, etc.). There aren't very many good trainsets out there. The exception would be the Kato set, but you still have to buy a transformer.

dwolson said:
Do you have any train stuff yet (engine, track, transformer, etc.). There aren't very many good trainsets out there. The exception would be the Kato set, but you still have to buy a transformer.

Usually, i shy away from Bachmann at all costs...never was a huge fan of much of their stuff, Spectrum or otherwise. The only reason i was even considering this was because i could get it for a fairly good price, and the locomotive is one not usually seen. At least, not by me.

As for train stuff, yeah, you might say i've got a bit....60 locomotives, in excess of 300 cars, a 10x12 layout (U-shaped, now), all being powered by a DCC system. This wasn't meant to be a beginner train set or anything like that.

Thanks for confirming my fears about the Standard Set...i'm gonna pass on this one.
AR

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Siderod,Back in the 80s I used Bachmann's GP40 because at that time it was one of the better N Scale locomotives..Today,I would think long and hard on buying any Bachmann except the Spectrum 2-8-0 since I've seen my buddy's run..I would go with Kato's F40PH or the Amtrak Genesis units with the Kato Amtrak cars..This may cost more then the Bachmann set but,you know you are getting your money's worth..

glenn railey

Aug 7, 2005
Georgia
Siderod:

I own a Spectrum 2-8-0 and a Spectrum F7 A&B. Both N scale units are very good runners, especially the 2-8-0. It is a very smooth. Either one will pull 9 cars up the 3 inch grade over the 3 foot layout that I made. The 2-8-0 will do this all day long.

The Bachman products except for the Spectrum line are not very good. They are plastic toys and rather cheaply made and not worth what you pay for them. However the Spectrum line is very good.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
glenn said:
Siderod:

I own a Spectrum 2-8-0 and a Spectrum F7 A&B. Both N scale units are very good runners, especially the 2-8-0. It is a very smooth. Either one will pull 9 cars up the 3 inch grade over the 3 foot layout that I made. The 2-8-0 will do this all day long.

The Bachman products except for the Spectrum line are not very good. They are plastic toys and rather cheaply made and not worth what you pay for them. However the Spectrum line is very good.

I agree with Glenn - to a point. Most of the Spectrum line is very good. I have 2 of the F7 a&b sets that are noisy, unlike the very quiet 280's (I have 4 of them. But I also have an Atlas GP9 that is noisy while 2 others are quiet. Quality wise, IMHO, the Kato and Atlas are a bit ahead of the Spectrums.