Bachmann vs. Bachmann? two 2-8-0's...

Bachmann_I10sa

Feb 5, 2005
Hey. I just got another older Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation, I10sa type (in the box and never been used, believe or not), and noticed that it is (aside from the shell) quite different in construction from the three I10sa's that I already had.

The older ones feel literally twice as heavy as the the one I just got. The motors are also different, as are the smoke units. The older ones have the smoke fluid fill port behind the smoke stack, while this new one takes the smoke fluid in the stack. Also, the motors on the older ones are built right into the frames of the engines, while the motor on the new one appears to be bolted between the frame halves. The older ones were listed as "Plus Series" while this new one is listed as "Classic Collector's Series."

These differences have made me curious about the locomotive's performance. Being lighter, can I expect it to have less tractive effort than the older engines I have? I really don't want to run the engine as long as my older ones are still functional, as it's never been used before, so just testing it with a line of cars on the track isn't really optional. Has anyone here ever had experience between both series of this engine, with the differences mentioned above?