Bachmann Trains

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by LuisLopes, Sep 20, 2001.

1. LuisLopes

LuisLopes Guest

Hello fellow modellers,

I'm a young portuguese boy, who's a beginner on this modelling world. I always enjoyed trains, and now it's time to have them in my room... :D

Anyway, my first question on this forum is:

Can you give me info about Bachmann trains? Are they any good? Why are they so cheap?

I don't want to compare with other manufactures. From what I've been told, Kato, Atlas and Life-like are the best manufactures of american trains. But what about Bachmann? They are so cheap, that scares.

I enjoy American trains, and European to, that's why I'm building a layout that is suitable for both.

By the way my iste is:
    Go check it out.
    Thanks for your time
  2. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

I think that it is the general consensus that Bachmann's locomotives are typically of inferior quality to those of the manufacturers that you listed. I think that attitude has been changing lately. Bachmann's Spectrum line is supposed to be of better quality than their previous releases.

Spookshow maintains a list of American locomotives by various manufacturers. He reviews each one and assigns it a grade. I've found it to be a very useful source of information:

Click on the Model Railroading link, then click on the N Scale Locomotive Encyclopedia.

I hope this helps!

3. billk

billk Active Member

Luis/Rory -
    The last time I looked, Spookshow wasn't maintaining his list, so the new Spectrum stuff might not be covered. It's still a good reference source, though. (Maybe we should try to get it captured into the Academy or Archives)
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Luis,welcome to the Gauge. I think you will find that Bachmann locomotives are just not worth the money.Their quality is very bad for the most part.:(

I visited your site and am quite impressed.If I have the time this weekend I will send you one of my E-passes for exchange with you.
  5. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Web site

I got onto your web site this evening (I guess there was too much traffic earlier). Your trackplan is really cool!

I have a couple of questions: How well does that Fleischmann tank loco run on your turnouts? What brand and type of turnouts do you use?

I have a Tomix Thomas the Tank Engine (0-6-0) and he sometimes stalls on my Atlas standard #4 turnouts. He can't quite make it over the plastic frog! Anyway, I was curious to find out if Fleischmann's design for that 0-4-0 did any better...they are rather pricey, but I figured that meant they were probably better quality...

6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi LuisLopes
    Welcome to the gauge, your website is very good and your track plan and photo's are excellent.
    As has been stated, Bachmann N-scale is not that good, for cheap trains that have also got good qualities try Life Like. Whilst Kato & Atlas & Rivarossi are excellent value for money.
  7. nscaler

nscaler New Member

Bachmann's standard stuff is pretty bad. I purchased a Class J a few years back and it just went bad, Bachmann sent me a new one and it ran even worse. I also had purchased a prarie 2-6-2 and Northern 4-8-4 and they are horrible. (I had bought the Prarie and Northern because my first Class J was great).

Here is a good site for loco reviews: