Bachmann Steam

TRAINBOY101

Nov 13, 2001
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new to this forum so i really don't know about this site. But my question is I have a Bachmann 4-8-4 J class in N&W. But the problem is it only pulls 3 cars.:mad: Are all Bachmann steam engines like this or just mine? Thanks.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I truely hate to be the bearer of bad news yes, most of the bachmann is like this. I had their PRR K4 4-6-2 the fool thing coundn't pull the cars that it was made for at the most it would pull on the club layout was 2 passenger cars.:(

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
When it stops pulling (moving forward) are the powered wheels still turning? If so, then they are slipping. This is probably due to the ultra light weight of N-scale locomotives (very little light to begin with, and very little room inside to add weight.) This is why a lot of the N scale steam stuff has rubber "traction tires" on their drivers, even though they create problems of their own like wearing out, upsetting the rivet- counters, etc.

You might try weighting your loco by taping coins or fishing sinkers or something to it and see if it improves its pulling power. Just an experiment, I'm not suggesting that you leave it that way. If it helps, then it confirms that light weight is the problem, and you can figure out how to add weight a little less obviously. By the way, if you add so much that the loco stalls (stops and the powered wheels are NOT turning), you've gone too far and are at risk of burning out the motor.

I recently read a discussion where some one talked about drilling holes into the frames and filling them with tungsten powder (tungsten is very dense, even more so than lead). Apparently you can get this stuff at golf-type places (Betcha you didn't know that!) Other things that came up were that you can get lead wheel-balancing weights pretty easily from an auto tire place, and that usually getting the weights isn't the problem, it's finding a place to put them.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
There must be several different "grades" or "classes" of Bachman we are talking about. I have a Spectrum Consolidation 2-8-0 by Bachman and it will pull the nails out of the wall. I've used it to pull up to a dozen cars (all I have built so far) and it goes up and down the grades like it owns them.

Bob

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bachman is one of those companies which you really may not know what you are getting(like I used to feel about Rivarossi). The 2-8-0 is an excellant model. The 4-8-4's are so so. I have to say I own the NYC Niagara, and it is ok, not terrrible. I had their mountain, which should be as good as the 2-8-0, but I returned mine, it went down the track like a wounded duck, yawing from side to side. Probably due to a quartering problem, but I wasn't about to fool with it. I got an Athearn 2-8-2 instead, nice loco. Older Bachman is pretty much useless, their new stuff should be good, with the occasional exception such as my mountain. For beginners who aren't aware of how long some of the Bachman stuff has been out, it may be difficult to know which models should be good. As just about always, you can pretty much figure it out by looking at price. $59. for a 4-8-4 should tell you something. $69 for a 2-8-0 should also tell you something. In regard to the Pennsy pacific, it is an old model(read junk) but I understand it was redone, have no idea if it is much improved. Stay away from their diesels, you can do much better(for more $). I personally would rather pay more for a good performer than have a junker for free. I mentioned Rivarossi earlier. I understand that their models are now quite good, and distinctly different from IHC. When I was getting into the hobby (1960's) this line was AHM, and it looked great, ran ok, and was(relatively) inexpensive. I owned a few at that time. I also used code 100 track and didn't ballast it. Upon ballasting, I found the engines bumped along the track due to the excessive flange height. Code 70 (code 83 didn't exist yet) was out of the question. So I didn't consider buying AHM from that point forward. AHM went out of business, and for the longest time(till a few weeks ago) I thought IHC was just AHM reincarnated. I saw, I guess already several years ago, that Rivarossi had put closer to scale flanges on some of their locos, notably Big boy and Challenger. I would have bought their NYC hudsons, but didn't know if they still had the big flanges. And the price skyrocketed! Perhaps an indication of improved quality, but then again perhaps not. Paying a little more attention to ads in the magazines, I now see Rivarossi and IHC seem to exist as separate entities, can someone let me know if their products are indeed produced in different locations? Getting back to my point, when a company produces garbage (harsh, I know) for a long time, then switches gears and starts producing quality equipment, they are likely to lose some possible sales to people who are reluctant to order an item wondering will I get the new or old? Particularly from a mail order firm. I bought some MDC RS3's a year or two ago, they had updated their drive some time earlier, but I was concerned I'd get some units which had been collecting dust on a shelf for years. This fear will keep people from buying. OK, this has probably been more than you wanted to know. See ya,

Gary

nscaler

Oct 8, 2001
Visit site
There seems to be some mix between HO and N in this thread. To the original poster: Do you mean N or HO? I had the N scale model, and while it was a poor performer, it pulled 12 or more freight cars. Their Spectrum steamers are awesome (HO scale) the standard stuff is what should (for the most part) be avoided. Bachmann has no N scale steamers yet, but the new 2-8-0 in N scale its supposed to be as good as their 2-8-0 model in HO scale.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
nscaler - I guess I assumed Trainboy1 was talking N scale, but you're right, the original post doesn't say. By the way, re:
Originally posted by nscaler
Bachmann has no N scale steamers yet, but the new 2-8-0 in N scale its supposed to be as good as their 2-8-0 model in HO scale.
Bachmann's site lists roughly 10 different steam locomotives (or did you mean just the ones worth getting?)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Just my two cents (I don't know what their worth what with inflation and all), but I have a Bachmann N-scale 2-8-0. When it was new it ran like a champ. Very smooth, pulled at least eleven cars (all I had) and creeped really well. But then it started to go downhill... I've tried all kinds of tricks to fix it, but it seems like something new goes wrong with it every time I think I've fixed something else. I'll probably just use it for display now... Good thing I only paid like $20 for it!

-Rory