Bachmann Spectrum "Doodlebug"

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
I was considering the purchase of a Bachmann Spectrum "Doddlebug". I have seen several on e-bay. Does anyone have any comments on the quality and running ability of these units. Can they be decoder equiped? (I havent looked in the Digitrax guide yet)
Thanks
dwight77

C

Catt

I have two of them,one is abit noisey ,but they both run very well.

brokemoto

Jan 1, 2005
They are noisy but run nicely at thirty-five to forty-five SMPH. They will also creep as they pull into the station. They will pull six RR HWs on RR trucks(!) up a one per-cent grade. And this with only one truck powered. I doubt that any prototype doodlebug would have towed six HW passenger cars even on level track.

The MT 1133 conversion for this is simple. Removal of the shell is not the easiest thing to do. I have seen more than a few at shows for twenty-five dollars. There have been a few QC problems with these. The wheels are usually out-of-gauge and the power truck sometimes will not swivel freely which causes derailments. You can usually work the power truck to get it to swivel properly. Gauging the wheels is not difficult, either, just do not force them.

I have several and I like mine.