Bachmann Service

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
I am realy impressed with the service I received from Bachmann Service. My N scale Spectrum 2-6-6-2 Challenger released all it's factory installed smoke (burned out) when something went wrong with the Clubs electrical system at a recent show. I took it apart and found the motor was seized, freed it up but it still bound in one spot. I requested a replacement motor from Bachmann but they asked me to put the locomotive back together as best I could and send it back. They do stand behind their advertized Lifetime Warranty as I just received a brand new replacement locomotive last week.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I've heard that they really stand behind their products. I have quite a few of their steamers, with no problems so far, and I just bought one of those 2-6-6-2s (used) on spec, to see if it will pull the trains that I have in mind for it. It's too long for my turntable, but I may use it only for helper service up the big hill.

Wayne

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
It's good to see Bachmann still honoring their Lifetime Guarantee. Due to their (mostly historic) horrible quality control measures, though... I often associate a quote from the movie Tommy Boy (1995) when thinking about Bachmann. "The reason why they have a guarrantee on the box is because they know all they sold you is a guarranteed piece of s%$t. Hell, I can take a crap in a box and slap a guarrantee on it for you, if that's what you want."

That being said - I now own 3 Bmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2's, 2 Bmann Spectrum diesels, and a box full of old 'standard' products that serve only as parts sources for projects.
Their Spectrum line is a huge improvement from their previous quality and detail standards.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
I love the newer version of the Dash 8 locomotives from BMann. How do those engines perform, along with the new SD45, in HO scale? Im wondering if the quality is the same as my N Scale engines.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have quite a few of their steamers, with no problems so far, and I just bought one of those 2-6-6-2s (used) on spec, to see if it will pull the trains that I have in mind for it. It's too long for my turntable, but I may use it only for helper service up the big hill.
Aren't the 2-6-6-2s known for poor pulling ability, or is that a different articulated?

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
Aren't the 2-6-6-2s known for poor pulling ability, or is that a different articulated?
You're right, they're known for being sub-par performers. Lack of traction tires, and being relatively light for their size doesn't provide much in the way of pulling power.

I believe there is an aftermarket traction tire conversion available. Would probably make quite a difference.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hmmm. :-( This sounds disappointing. I wanted to see both how well it pulls, and how good it looks on my layout. Articulateds were never very popular in Canada, but I thought that I'd give one a try. If it looks good, I'll make it pull well, and it won't be with traction tires. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: On the other hand, if I don't like the looks of it, the store will take it back.

Wayne