Bachmann Service

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Bill Pontin, May 18, 2007.

1. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

I am realy impressed with the service I received from Bachmann Service. My N scale Spectrum 2-6-6-2 Challenger released all it's factory installed smoke (burned out) when something went wrong with the Clubs electrical system at a recent show. I took it apart and found the motor was seized, freed it up but it still bound in one spot. I requested a replacement motor from Bachmann but they asked me to put the locomotive back together as best I could and send it back. They do stand behind their advertized Lifetime Warranty as I just received a brand new replacement locomotive last week.
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Yeah, I've heard that they really stand behind their products. I have quite a few of their steamers, with no problems so far, and I just bought one of those 2-6-6-2s (used) on spec, to see if it will pull the trains that I have in mind for it. It's too long for my turntable, but I may use it only for helper service up the big hill.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Kudos to Bachmann.
    It's good to hear there are still a few companies that care about cusomter service. :thumb:
  4. Bones

Bones Member

It's good to see Bachmann still honoring their Lifetime Guarantee. Due to their (mostly historic) horrible quality control measures, though... I often associate a quote from the movie Tommy Boy (1995) when thinking about Bachmann. "The reason why they have a guarrantee on the box is because they know all they sold you is a guarranteed piece of s%$t. Hell, I can take a crap in a box and slap a guarrantee on it for you, if that's what you want."

That being said - I now own 3 Bmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2's, 2 Bmann Spectrum diesels, and a box full of old 'standard' products that serve only as parts sources for projects.
    Their Spectrum line is a huge improvement from their previous quality and detail standards.
  5. SeriousSam

SeriousSam Member

I love the newer version of the Dash 8 locomotives from BMann. How do those engines perform, along with the new SD45, in HO scale? Im wondering if the quality is the same as my N Scale engines.
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Aren't the 2-6-6-2s known for poor pulling ability, or is that a different articulated?
  7. Bones

Bones Member

You're right, they're known for being sub-par performers. Lack of traction tires, and being relatively light for their size doesn't provide much in the way of pulling power.

I believe there is an aftermarket traction tire conversion available. Would probably make quite a difference.
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Hmmm. :-( This sounds disappointing. I wanted to see both how well it pulls, and how good it looks on my layout. Articulateds were never very popular in Canada, but I thought that I'd give one a try. If it looks good, I'll make it pull well, and it won't be with traction tires. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: On the other hand, if I don't like the looks of it, the store will take it back.