Bachmann Parts HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by kf4jqd, May 24, 2004.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Hi Everyone:

I am having problems with Bachmann to get parts! I know what's wrong but they want me to send the loco in! Is there any where else I can go to for these parts?

Here's what I need:
    6 ea pins to hold the large wheels in place
    Large main drive gear that is in front (white in color)
    The gear for the sound
    battery cover for the tender

The train is a Suwanne River Specail. If anyone has this style of loco they want to get rid of. Please let me know. My last resort IS to send it to Bachmann.

Thanks for the help,
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

If you can get through to the right person, you might get them to sell you the part. It's easy for a busy rep to do whatever ends the call fastest, rather than spend time researching it. You might get some "off the shelf" type parts from if you can measure them accurately.
  3. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hey Andy, I just checked the Bachmann message board and it was just full of inquires about parts. From what I can gather Bachmann does not sell individual parts. But, apparently they will refurbish their locos for somewhere around $15-20 which just might be less than the parts alone if you could buy them.
    73, Vic K4VIC
  4. Danny

Danny Member

The comment Bachmann do not sell parts is not quite true. I live in Australia, and Bachmann have been more than helpfull in supplying parts to keep my Consolidation running after a switching accident. Bob at Bachmann is extremely helpfull, cannot but heap praise on Bachmann Spare parts dept. :)
  5. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to send the locomotive in to get fixed. I am going to advoid Bachmann products in the future. I had a smoking steam HO locomotive that needed a new shell. I had no problems getting a new one. This takes the cake. If anyone has any spare parts left over parts, LETS MAKE A DEAL!

Thanks Again,
  6. Danny

Danny Member

Andy, don't be too rash, one hiccup would not turn me away from Bachmann products, pricewise and prototype types make them one of the outstanding model RR manufacturers, I have ten G locomotives ( eight are Bachmann !).
    Regards, Danny in Oz.
  7. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I jumped the gun. I do like Bachmann. They were fast in repaire, 2 weeks!

Thanks for the help,
  8. Dragon

Dragon Member

The problem I would see in sending in a locmotive is: What if you bought the loco second-hand and don't have an original warranty or receipt?

I have an old Bachmann n-scale docksider with fairly detailed running gear and need a couple parts to make it "whole" again.

9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Michael - if it's under a year old and you want a free repair under warranty, you need a receipt. If you want the over one year old warranty, where you pay for the repair, no receipt is needed. I believe steam is $15, but it goes up every few years. The big problem is, most of the time, the warranty repair charge plus your shipping to bachmann is more than it's worth. N scale bachmann is said to be of better quality than a lot of the HO they put out, so it may be worth it for your lokey. Check for what a new one is worth.
  10. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

They normally want people too send it in because htey dont want to get ripped off, i hvae had problams before with some trains adn i said it is a very small part cant you just send it to me and htey told me too send in the loco.
  11. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Well I can say this about Bachmann , I purchased a lot at a auction I need some parts so I called Bachmann and after numerous calls one day out of the clear blue sky they called. I had 2 different scales I needed parts for one was the G gauge locomotive those nylon gears they use on the drivers suck and wear out fast. The women told me at Bachmann that they don't sell individual parts such as gears if I would like send the locomotive in and for $37. they would repair the engine. As for the other parts I needed such as brushes and springs she said send in the engines and at the cost of $15 a piece they would repair them. I believe any company that manufactures trains should have a full and ready parts department and the policy of making customers send in their broken engines is stupid and costly its just not fair to the customers who purchase their products . This is why I am a huge fan of the old trains made from the mid 40's to the late 70's after that train companies make junk for the most part and refuse to sell you parts to repair their inferior products. I collect American Flyers and I can get any part for any engine how is it trains made within the last 3 years you can't purchase parts from the manufacturer this makes no sense.