Bachmann ON30 traction questions

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by gearnoise, Nov 27, 2006.

1. gearnoise

gearnoise New Member

Hi, I'm brand new to ON30 (had Lionel O27 as a kid, currently dabble in N guage due to space limitations imposed by wife :)). I'm about to internet buy the Bachmann United Traction Street Car Set from Trainworld as an addition to the wife's Christmas village display which she is expanding to a 36" wide door surface this year. The set comes with power supply, a few straight and 18" radius EZ-Track curves, and auto-reverses, pauses, etc. I plan to order some 15" curve 4-packs and more straights, etc.
    My questions:
    1. Since from what I understand, if I stick to short-bodied stuff like the trolley or porter, ON30 stock will handle even smaller curves, is there any source for such or will I need to use flex track? This Christmas village is a holiday period only setup, so anything I would need to glue or nail down is not desirable (translation: The wife would shoot me).
    2. Is there anything special about the track pieces Bachmann includes? There is some mention about the track being "electronic reversing" in the literature.
    3. If the answer to #2 is "Yes", what if anything do I need to do to integrate with the extra normal EZ-track pieces that I am ordering?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I'm sure there will be a few more questions once I have the traction set in hand.
  2. jcoop1

jcoop1 Member

MY 2 cents worth

I will try to answer each one.

Good luck with it
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

1. Generally 15" is about the narrowest you will find pre-made track. Flextrack is easy to work with, and if you allow for easements you can operate short equipment on very, very narrow curves. You'll have to experiment with that On30 mechanism but if it is anything like Bachmann's HO scale mechanism it can handle 10" curves, less if modified for more free-swinging trucks.

Are you going to model the overhead wire and the trolley poles?
  4. gearnoise

gearnoise New Member

Thanks guys! Bachmann does make additional 18" radius and 9" straight electronic auto-reversing track, but at double the price of the normal EZ-track, and no other sizes. So to get an EZ-track 3/4 loop that will fit on the door, I will need to get some "normal" 15" radius and run the wire underneath as John suggested. Maybe next year for </= 12" radius via flextrack. Hopefully by then I'll be able to figure out how to make the mounted flextrack "snap" to he EZ-track. I placed my order and it is shipping today, so next weekend is village setup time. I found instructions in an N-guage layout manual for sturdily attaching folding legs to a hollow-core door, so a trip to Home Depot to get the legs is my next step.
  5. gearnoise

gearnoise New Member

Oh, and I'm not modelling overhead wires or poles. This village has a vibrating ice skating rink and a musical carousel busy in the snow, so realism isn't necessarily a priority....
  6. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

My shay can do 15 inches easily, my porter can do 12. But they can not pull much at that tightness which is fine for me.
    However, you should know that some 2-6-0 and larger need 22 inch radius so ask about a particular loco before buying as some can go small and others can not. :)
    Just a heads up.

As for track, I lay my own and haven't used flex track for decades for anything but making tests on.
    Also don't forget the easements. Even starting the transition as little as 3 inches away can make a difference.

Hope that helps:)