Bachmann HO shay

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Can anyone tell me if the Bachmann three truck shay in HO is a good runner, here in the UK I cannot het one yet, but if it runs well I might send to the States for one.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks Jim, I've got one on order from the USA. Should get it by mid January.(I HOPE)
Merry Christmas

Jim Butler

Dec 19, 2000
St. Albans, WV
www.sa-com.org
I do not have one yet but several members of a club I belong to had them running on our club layout and they were quiet and smooth as silk. The three I saw were beautiful and their owners were very happy with them. It is on my list of wants for the near future.
Jim

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Would this 3-truck Shay work well on HO small radius track, say 15"? Would 2-truck be better? Should I stick with my plan and go with an 0-4-0T for this small radius?

[This message has been edited by Partsman (edited 12-21-2000).]

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I don't know about a 15" radius, but it had better run on 18", that's my smallest.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks dccuser1 for your help regarding the three truck shay.
Looking forward to it.
cool.gif

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Bachmann Shay

Hi, I thought that there was an old post about the Shay. I just picked one up for $80.00 US.

It runs Great!! nice & slowwwwwww! :) :D :)

I have it running around the wall just below the ceiling in my Dining Room.. :)

The only cars I had that were close to being the right size were ore cars :( So I have them behind it just until I can get some logging cars :)

Seeee Yaa -- Mikey

P.S. - I know my Handle's N Gauger, and I'm mostly into G scale, but I just can't seem to keep my hands off your (HO) stuff! :) :) :)

Attachments

• hoshay.jpg
    hoshay.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 174

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
Shamus,

I have a Bachmann 3 truck shay and it runs great. It creeps smoothly and this is out of the box using a standard power pack. Wouldn't trade it back for anything.

As for radii, my smallest is approx 17 inches and it does well. The key is to loosen the screws on the trucks a bit and it will run fine.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Pete,
You won't be able to get the MDC as quiet as the 3 truck Bachmann, but you can get it close enough. I now have five of the MDC's and they all (Thank goodness) run smooth without twitching, noise isn't that bad really. Listen to the prototype, these beasts make a racket.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
Aha!, The gauntlet of challenge is cast before me! QuietER, I answer. And when I have done this thing, then shall I install a Soundtrax unit, and a speaker in the gawdawful stack, and spend my insanity dreamily listening to that sidewinder working its heart out!
I have ridden the cab of a shay,, I know the feel, the smell, and the sound of her. This shall I have to perfection or not at all.

Is it deep enough yet??

What I want to do requires time, patience, and machining skills I haven't develpoed yet. When I do get it right, I'll figure a way to get it across the pond so you can see it work that 8% on the BCLC.
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Ah Pete, man after my own sweet heart, and I am jealous of you having a ride on a shay. Shayyymm :D on you. :rolleyes:
BTW, why don't I just send my 8% grade over to you so you can try yours out:p

Shamus

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Forsooth Sir Peter!
Wouldst thou accept such challenge from the mighty Sir Paul?
Tis many long years since words of such valour hath echo'd these great halls of noblemen. My blacksmith hath prepared his furnace to occasion the finest steel for thine mighty creation. Merlin hath taken it upon himself to conjour such spells as will bestow upon thee such skills as thou hast not known erstwhile!
And upon the day of reckoning, our lords, ladies and vassals shall assemble there upon the field of trial to witness great deeds.
Each whispering to the other ...."Will Sir Peter's wondrous creation witness success in conquering the formidable 8% grade?" :D :D

Interpretation of the foregoing is available at 5 cents + one beer tax per copy!:D :D

Poor Peter, what hast thou let thineself in for.... heh heh heh

Couldn't resist this post! .... Dave, am I still a member? :D

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Fitsooth Errol, thou hast now got to umpire the contest.
ASKING DAVE if you are still a member, I wilst tell thee nowest - NO NO NO :D:D:cool: :rolleyes: ;) ;) :p