Bachmann High Railer pickup

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I have a couple of questions. First my LHS has a Bachmann High Railer pickup in the bargan bin, so my first question is are these any good? Obviously they are not well detailed, but my main concearn is can you control them or do they have two speeds, off & full.

Second,
Same LHS has a flashing beacon kit made by Busch for construction type equipment and such. I can't determine if the kit is track powered or battery powered without opening the package. Went to both the manufacturers website and Walther's website to get info and zilch,:confused: Has anyone used one of these kits? How is it powered?

If you read between the lines, I'd like to put the flashing beacon on the High railer pickup to make a track inspection truck. I thought about putting a N Scale decoder in the truck to get headlights and a beacon effect, but if the truck runs crappy a decoder wont fix that. So give me some input.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Well, the high rail truck is closer to S or O scale than HO, but if you can live with that, it's not too bad a runner. It has very small pickup surfaces, and is very light, so for reliable operation, you're going to need very clean, perfect trackwork.

As for the Busch strobe, if it's this one, I'd suspect it needs a constant voltage supply, rather than track power.