Bachmann GE 70ton

bnrails

Green is the way to go
Hello.

I'm considering to buy a Bachmann GE 70ton loco.
Does it run smooth and quiet? And how are the details?

Kon

Russ Bellinis

I have seen them in hobby shops, but have never seen one run. The detail is very nice. I suspect they run well like any other Bachmann Spectrum model, but I can't say.

If you get one, be sure to get one of the newer ones with a single motor. I have one of the older two motor kinds and it ran pretty good at first, but now the second motor has problems and bogs down the first motor. The details are pretty good, better than Athearn blue box, but not quite a Proto 2000. Overall I am quite satisfied with mine (when it works properly).

Russ Bellinis

Freelancer, a trick that worked on the early GE 44 Tonners would probably also work on your 70 tonner, and that was to wire the 2 motors in series. The first thing that I would do, though is to contact Bachmann. They have a lifetime warranty on all of their locomotives. They might just replace your two motor unit with a new single motor model.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Freelancer,

The 70 tonner is a decent runner. We have one in the LHS I work at. It's stock Bachmann DCC on board, and while not as quiet as a Spectrum or Atlas, it runs very smoothly.
pjh2.jpg

Genetk44

I second Squidbaits comments....I impulse bought a DCC equipped 70-tonner...it runs smoothly,has pretty good slow-speed characteristics but is a bit noisier than Atlas,P2K...quieter than Athearn blue-box. I'll probably buy more actually.
Cheers
Gene