Bachmann DEAL!!...Maitence question.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I looked at my "american" and it looks remotely similar, but not enough to actually pass as it. ross31r, could I see some photos of your bachmann switchers?

By the way my motors REALLY noisy and runs jerky, even after cleaning the track and the wheels to shiny quality, can I order a new motor, or does some other co. make a better version of that motor?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
its a weird name, but its basicly a blown up image of your locomotive dissassembled ( blown up as in made bigger) i call it the instruction sheet, but they are the same thing

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
lol, its a joke name given to them - i think they tend to look like a destrction guide for the locomotives!

both mine are fairly noisy, but i havent given them much running in yet. Will take some piccys of them when i get home (visiting my dad this weekend so not able to get at my locos or the instructions till tomorrow)

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Thanks, I await the pics, ross31r!

BTW, the offical term for that type of diagram is a (ahem) "Exploded Isometric Drawing."

I heard that WD-40 lubricates and restores/improves electrical contact...

Has anybody used WD-40 on their locomotive's motor yet? If so how well does it work?

N

nachoman

i would not use water displacement formula 40 (wd-40) on anything with plastic. to clean a motor, I would start with denatured alcohol. On larger motors (such as starter motors on cars) I have cleaned contacts with 600 grit sandpaper. I doubt this would be feasable on smaller motors.

kevin

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Thanks nachoman, I wasn't sure of WD-40's properties, and had no idea that it was Water Displacement formula 40, how id you come by this tidbit, or is it somewhere on the can? what's in it?

Where can i get denatured alcohol? I shouldn't use isopropyl alcohol, right?

N

nachoman

denatured alcohol- hardware store near paint thinners. as for WD-40...I think I heard that from my brother. rubbing alcohol would work too... or everclear for that matter. what kind of motor does this loco have in it? Unless it is an open frame type, you are likely to damage it by just taking it apart. Most can-type motors are not serviceable. I'd try cleaning and lubing everything else before touching the motor.

kevin

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
How well does the LaBelle Lube work, I have the gear oil, but not much else, but I know my train club has some more, like the lite oil.

I have already lubed the gear with the gear oil and re-oiled the siderods and moving joints, what's next?
Secondly, where else do you put the grease?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
I love those shots, hope the scenery comes along well! I really enjoyed 4756's weathering approach on the tender! Thanks for showing me those plong awaited photos, ross31r! Hope there might be some more soon! Thanks again.

By the way how can I go about ordering the Vandy Tender and trailing truck?

Who should I contact and how much do you think it will cost? can I just send my old tender to them, leaving a note to "switch this for a vanderbuilt tender" ?

I did that with my 4-8-4 daylight, It was originally a 'warbaby' (all black, very cool) but I wanted a daylight engine, so I traded it and got a daylight back! wow, I was suprised!

Can you take apicture of the underside of your 0-6-0's for me, so I cn see the potental placement for a leading/ tailing truck, please, ross31r?
thanks.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
yeah will do when i get home, personally i would just write to bachmann and send the tender back asking for the vanderbuilt one as a replacement.

The spectrum 2-10-0 tender can be purchased from bachmann seperately and i think this would be a better bet as it already has tender pickups which help the performance of the switchers no end as their original tenders dont have any form of electrical pickups so the locos only have a very small pick-up area (just the coupled wheels)

coal tenders are part numbers 89901/02/04 (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/image/products/89904_thumb.JPG), there is also an oil tender part number 89903 (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/image/products/89903_thumb.JPG)

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Just got it painted today!!

I suddenly got a burst in inspiration this morning! do you guys get that? Anyway this led me to paint my little 4-6-0 in the nice colors of the SP. here's a pic of it pulling a passenger train.

Attachments

• new460.JPG
    new460.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 13

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I don't have any Spectrum tenders, but I would bet a lot of money, a very lot of money that the tenders will hook up to your locomotive with no REAL problem. Sure you'd have to tuck the DCC wiring harness into the tender, but you don't need the tender electrical contacts because your locomotive will run by ITSELF. You may not want to pay the extra $15 - $20 for the DCC module that you're not going to use, but that's a small price to pay for getting what you want, and you may be able to use it if you ever go to DCC.

You've got me curious, I am going to buy a Spectrum steam loco next weekend at the show in Timonium just to take it apart and see what it's like. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Excellent, I already own a Spectrum Consolidation, and I would swear by it. They run great and I really enjoy how sharply painted mine is, for an undec, that is!

Are you sure they don't just have replacement tenders for the X-6-0 models? like the ones that ross31r has, I suspect that if you send in a warranty card, and then a week later send in the tander, they'll replace it with a vandy tender, perhaps I should try it...oops I don't have a warranty card...hmm...plan B...plan B....(paces)

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hi, I bought a Spectrum Steam Engine (2-6-6-2 c&o standard tender) for $125.00 at Greenbergs Train Show in Timonium. The first one was binding up on something, but I could not see what it was, so I took it back and got another (in a sealed box) and it ran great.
First the bad news, you are right, the hookup for spectrum tenders is not the same as your 4-6-0.
Second, the part numbers for the UP Vandy tender are 3271(shell decorated) 3272(weight) 3273(underframe) 3274(truck) 3275(wheel sets - 2 pairs) 3276(drawbar). You need 2 3274 and 2 3275. Good luck in trying to order the parts off their website.
Third, I was thinking about your Vandy tender, and in one night hacked up a cheap tank car, and a cheap standard tender and made a reasonable Vandy tender. Still needs work, but the project is very doable, and the resulting Vandy's will be sized to your fleet, and cheap to make - mine cost $4.00 so far. I would post photos, but the camera and computer are in different locations, a real chore to upload photos.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
George, thanks alot for the part #'s I'll have to do that.

On the other hand I spent two hours last sunday constructing a vanderbuilt tender from an old dow chemical tank car, and so far it's coming along fine, but I might want the UP tender just for backup!