Bachmann Ddc & Atlas Track

CLAYRB

Good morning to all: This is my 1st post as I diving into the wonderful world of HO.
OK so my wife and I purchased the Bachmann - Digital Commander Deluxe Set HO Code:160-00501. So my question is can I use Atlas track on this system. We saw a Atlas track layout the we liked and priced it against Bachmann track and the difference is about $100.00 based on Discounttrains web site prices. Can I use different track with the train set? Or do I have to stay with Bachmann.
Looking forward to build our 1st HO layout.

CLAYRB

Thanks for the reply.
Oh by the way where is the best place to purchase track? Is their some place that we can buy bulk at cheap prices?
Here is the bigger question: Is their a 3x12 or a 4x12 HO layout out their that I can start smaller as I get the money to expand?
I'm kinda on a budget as we all are.
Thanks,

oldtanker

Your best bet is to search different hobby shops on line for price.

If you go to track planning here on The Gauge and ask for help with the track plan question you should get some help.....I'm the wrong guy to ask for that!

Rick

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
IMHO, the "best" place to buy track is at your local hobby shop. Not one of the big chain hobby shops, but one that's a mom-and-pop local store, run by someone who understands the hobby. Of course in these days of big-block stores and online retailers they're getting harder and harder to find.

The reason I say that's the "best", is because if you find a good one, you may pay a bit more than you would from an online vendor, but you'll have someplace to turn for all your questions. A good LHS will be able to help you plan your first layout, recommend products that meet your needs and budget, and give you good how-to advice.

You'll get lots of advice from people on The Gauge as well, but you'll get a much broader range of opinion.

Before you start laying track permanaently, I'd suggest you do a little reading around here, and also take a look at some of the beginner books by Atlas and Kalmbach. They're full of good advice based on years of experience. They're not the be-all-end-all of resources, but they're a good start.

One thing you'll find is that if you want a continuous-run layout, 3' isn't really wide enough to turn your train around. 18" radius curves are about as tight as you want to go, and you probably want a little table between the edge of the track and the floor... :) So if you can do 4', plan on 4'.

Welcome to The Gauge and to a great hobby!

CLAYRB

Thanks for the suggestions and I have been reading the forms for awhile and it's been a great help and appreciate all the long time experience train nuts in here. so of the layouts are unavailable and something to dream about.

Dansco

FYI: The prices at my local mom-and pop, beat the bigger hobby store.
Atlas code 83 flex.
Mainline Trains in Forest Grove Oregon: $3.00 a stick
Tammies Hobbies in Hillsboro Oregon: $3.95 a stick
Easy math for me.

Dansco

Jim Krause

Have you looked at any of the 4X8 layout articles in Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman magazines? They usually do a couple of them a year and write up detailed articles on construction and wiring. There is an interesting one in the December 2006 MR and another in the January 07 MR which has an add on staging yard and uses Kato Unitrack. Also a good article on model railroading terminology.