Bachmann Buzz

elwood

Jun 25, 2005
I Just recieved the bachmann ez command DCC system with loco today. Got everything out of the box, put the loco on the track, following directions I applied power to the track, The loco moves like it should, but makes a terribly loud buzzing noise untill it gets up to speed. I'm running the loco without any cars. Is this lack of lube, or a DCC issue?

Thanks,

Custom

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
why did you get the bachmann system?

Unless it really cheap its not worth it! you cant expand it, the decoders are old technology and the control station wont operate half as well when compared to more advanced systems. If your going to go DCC go with Lenz - they are leaving everyone behind in technology terms and there old system is what the NMRA standard were based around.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Elwood...

Sounds like it could be electrical - is the decoder installed? I know it is a silly question, but the noise you are describing sounds like the noise my Digitrax Zephyr makes when running an "analog" (non-decoder equipped) loco.

There are settings that can be adjusted (depending on decoder) that may minimize any "normal" buzzing. Chack your decoder and controller manuals.

If these solutions don't work - take the system back, since it is new. Get a replacement, and/or ask the store for a demo before you take it home.

If nothing works, perhaps you should look into another system, as ross31r suggested.

Andrew

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
i don't know if its just me, but those standard bachmann locomotives, and even the Spectrum one, make a large buzzing noise, atleast on my layout. i don't have dcc, and theonly train with a decopder i have is a lionel challenger.

i hear that the decoders reduce this buzzing of the motors, but i think your buzzing is just normal motor buzzing. you could probalby check your locomotive if it need to be lubed. as for everythign else, i have no clue, the others no more about DCC than i do.

elwood

Jun 25, 2005
It only does this in DCC mode. If I run it with a DC power pack, the noise goes away, it almost runs silently

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
To repeat what David said, it sounds like you are running the loco on DCC without a decoder (analog, address 0) The buzz is normal in this case. It is the sound of the motor reversing direction however many times the polarity changes per second. When you accelerate, one polarity starts to dominate, so the buzz lessens. You didn't reply to whether or not the loco in question has a decoder installed, does it?

elwood

Jun 25, 2005
The loco im talking about came with the Ez command....it was one of those package deals....Ive had the loco apart, definately has a decoder.