BACHMANN 35 Ton switcher problem

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by kevinm, Jun 2, 2004.

1. kevinm

kevinm New Member

Hi all,
    My 1st post and its with a question. I recently bought and bachmann 35 ton switcher and it has stripped its axle gear. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement gear drive / axle ????

More info...(might help) the motor is mounted with the shaft pointed down. Connected to a sprial looking gear which is connected to another gear (not sure of the name). That gear is connected to the axle then to metal wheels. I called Bachmann and they didnt know what I was talking about.....:confused: ....

Thanks in advance !!!

2. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Welcome Kevin,
    If you have the diagram (which came with the loco) showing all the piece parts just contact Bachmann again and ask for the part which has that gear attached to it.
    My 44 tonner is the earlier version which has a motor in each of the trucks so it is not the same as yours.
    Also you should have asked to speak to someone more technical at Bachmann, you described what you need pretty well in here.

3. kevinm

kevinm New Member

Thanks Errol,
    I didnt think of that. I do have the diagrams that came with it !!!! Thanks I'll give that a try.

4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Welcome to the Gauge Kevin. Good luck on fixing that machine. FRED
  5. kevinm

kevinm New Member

Thanks Fred

Well I called Bachmann with part number in luck....They said that they no longer make that model locomotive and there are no cross matching parts for that part...

Anyone know where to find a 'Geared Wheel' ?????

Thanks again for the welcome !!!

6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Bachmann used to offer a lifetime guarrantee on all of their locomotives. They changed the design to an improved version for the 44 toner. If you ask about the lifetime warranty, they might replace it with a new one.
  7. Chessie1973

Chessie1973 Member

I was just going to suggest that very thing Russ.

My Local train shop actually takes old beat to death Bachmann's in trade. What does he do with them? He sends them to Bachmann to get them replaced for free since they are under warranty for the cost of shipping them.

I have personally taken 5 Bachmann "Toy" F-7's to him and he has resold every one of them for like 5 times what he gave me for them, because they were completely rebuilt or brand new units.
  8. Vic

Vic Active Member

I did a little looking into this Bachmann parts things a week or so ago. What I deterimined is that Bachmann does not sell parts to individuals or LHS's.

But if you will send the loco in under their "lifetime warranty" along with the approaiate fee they will repair or replace the loco.

The other alternative is to find a "junker" and "rob" the part you need.
  9. kevinm

kevinm New Member

Thanks everyone. I think I will send it in and see what happens. Thanks again !!

10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Just a quick interjection guys, the bachmann warranty requires $10 for warranty unless it's steam for $15 or a Spectrum which is $20. You pay shipping which is about $7 or $8 which makes around $18 you will need to pay for warranty. FRED
  11. Dragon

Dragon Member

Sounds to me like what he was describing was one of the trucks. I thought the single-motor version was mounted transversly, with shafts extending out to the trucks. A downward pointed motor would not get near the trucks on a mid-engined engine. :confused:
    (if anyone understands what I just wronte, please explain it to me)

Hopefully Bachmann still has parts for these older 44-tonners as the motors in mine burned out. My only other option is a permanent drawbar to the working single-motor version and run them in tandem.

12. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Vic - they do sell parts, but not all parts. Unless they have recently changed policy, in which case, they will have a lot of X - customers :D

$10 ea and in stock a couple of months ago. OK maybe a year ago. Ask Shamus, it went into his power truck :D :D :D 99% of the time the motors are carboned up or over oiled, fouling them out. You can often get those "burned out" motors to run again good as new by removing carbon from between the copper sections on the commuter (where the brushes rub). Some formerly sane people even fill the cracks with epoxy thus carbon foul proof. Removal of oil can often heal them as well. Up to you how you do this, I use disk brake cleaner to remove all traces of oil and then relube the brass bearing with a fraction of a drop of sythetic. Some folks think it might attack plastic. I think not.

dash is right. Bachmann seems confused about Lifetime Warranty. Either they think lifetime is one year, or they think warranty means the customer pays. Business rule of thumb on repairs is do not exceede 50% of value on a repair. Since you can get a newer/better 44 tonner from trainworld for under $40, sending one back for $20 (yup it's a spectrum) makes no sense at all to me.
  13. kevinm

kevinm New Member

It is on a single truck. I will try to take a picture of it this evening and post it. It would be a very simple fix if I can find the part or one like it.

$10 for warranty and 7-8 for s&h I could buy a new one......