Bachman 2-8-0 Consolidation Opinions

bigdonnie

In N scale, the choice of steam locomotives for CN and/or CP is rather limited.

If anyone has one of these Bachmann Consolidations, I would appreciate getting your opinion on it (ie are you satisfied with how it runs and how does it compare to other diesel or steam locos you may have?).

TIA

Don

Tyson Rayles

IMHO no steam engine runs as good as the better desiels, having said that the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 as is good an N-scale steam as you are going to get. However if you want to build up a fleet of steam and use them in realistic operations, such as switching in yards where you have to run at slow speeds and across switches, I would suggest you switch to a larger scale.

bigdonnie

No --- this would be my one and only steam loco for a small coffee table layout. Sounds like this is the right choice.

Thanks for the feedback

Don

Tyson Rayles

It should be fine for what you want Don. But keep in mind they do have traction tires so you will have to clean the track a little more often (won't be as bad once they are broke in).

Will_annand

Actually Tyson, I find the MiniTrix steamers run great. I have an old 2-10-0 that is a great runner. I also have 2 of the Bachman 4-4-0 locos, but they are not the best.

I am looking for a good 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 or 2-6-0 steamer.

Bikerdad

I just got a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 last night. It runs quite well, although I haven't pulled anything with it yet. It is "growly", a lot more so than the other steam locos I have for comparison. The MDC 2-6-0 is much quieter, although one of the two I have squeaks like a mouse. :cry: (Tender, I'll be taking care of that shortly). I also have a Kato Mikado which, IIRC, is a gem, and a MDC 2-8-0 custom lettered for CP. Its quiet as well, but the Bachmann Spectrum looks better. Finally, I have an Atlas Mogul which is cute as a button, doesn't pull a whole lot (probably 10 cars), but is probably the fastest loco in my roster! If you've ever wondered what a steam loco would look like on too much caffeine... :thumb:

Will_annand

Tyson, I got this one second hand from one of the fellows at my RR Club. He has changed from N to HO and was selling his N stuff. I think someone said they were about $300 CDN.

I have two of the bachman 2-8-0 and two of the Kato 2-8-2's both run great but the mikes need that traction tires to pull anything ....Rich

davidstrains

bigdonnie said:
In N scale, the choice of steam locomotives for CN and/or CP is rather limited.

If anyone has one of these Bachmann Consolidations, I would appreciate getting your opinion on it (ie are you satisfied with how it runs and how does it compare to other diesel or steam locos you may have?).

TIA

Don

Don, I have 3 of them. All run very well at slow speeds. I have DCC in 2 of them and they creep very slowly at speed step 1. It takes them about 5 minutes to move 2 feet.

Pulls 12-15 on 2% grade

All of the engine are very quiet. They run as quiet if not more quietly than the the Kato Deisels that are extremely quiet.

A very good choice in my opinion. Their only flaw is the non-working dummy coupler on the pilot, but you can get a MT conversion for that also. I have not done that on mine yet.

Chris333

I have a B-mann 2-8-0 and a kato 2-8-2. Kato runs a little bit smoother and the B-mann runs a little bit slower. Both are great locomotives.

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/chrisschmuck

aeg.sized.jpg

Tad

I'm very pleased with both of my two steam locomotives.

I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation and an MDC 2-6-0 Mogul. The 2-8-0 required a few hours of break-in time to run smoothly at all speeds in both forward and reverse. Now it is smooth as can be.

sams

Chriss333,
could you tell me which loco's are in your picture?
is it the kato on the right-most, the b-mann in the center?
and what about the left-most loco?
also, what is the track?
thx:)
sam

brokemoto

The Bachpersonn SPECTRUM consolidated is one of the better N scale steam engines out there.

It requires considerable break-in time, but the result makes the time spent breaking it in worth it.

The tender MT conversion is 2001. The pilot conversion has been the subject of much debate, but I have had the most success with a Z scale coupler. You do have to fashion a small piece of styrene to screw to the pilot deck. This keeps the Z scale coupler assembly from fouling the pilot truck.

Buy it, spend the time to break it in. There are numerous on-line train stores that have decent prices on it these days.

Chris333

Sam, You got the order correct.

On the right is the kato mike.
acj.sized.jpg

In the middle is the B-mann 2-8-0
aaf.jpg

And on the left is a 2-6-2 logging locomotive I bashed out of the new Atlas 2-6-0.
aei.sized.jpg

You can see more photos of how I made the 2-6-2 here:
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/chrisschmuck

All the locomotives have been re-detailed to match the prototypes.