Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by enigma, Aug 9, 2006.

1. enigma

enigma New Member

Recently i've found out how to unroll the surface in rhino and hence got me started in making paper models. I've looked all around the net for paper models on airliners but there aren't many, and also because of my fondness of airliners i decided to try my hand at designing a 787, starting from the nose. It's quite badly built on normal copy paper but it looks decent to me, at least for my first try. It might not feel like a great achievement to some but i'm encouraged to make more models.

2. angevine

angevine Member

Hi Enigma,

Well done with the design so far. I gave up trying to design ages ago so well done for your efforts.

As you are only on the first draft shall we say of your model, build quility should never be an issue. I have tried several models before and done rough builds first to see how it goes, its when I get down to working on the final article that I worry about the finish.

Well done again, I am sure other designers/builders will comment soon.

All the best,
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looks good to me. All babies gotta crawl before they walk. Just know that you'll probably encounter setbacks somewhere along the way just don't let them discourage you. They are really good learning experiences.

As always there are a bunch of people willing to help if you need it.
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here is an idea on how to make the cone smoother when you make it into an aircraft. Paper will stretch but it won't shrink. So make the skin panels smaller than the crossection at their middle. That way you can stretch the paper at the middle of the panel instead of compressing it at the seams.

In stetching the paper, it helps to have a solid support structure and to work the paper damp. For doing this, I use CA glue because it cures with the tension still on the skin. I hold the skin in place with a damp rag to provide the mosture. If the rag is the same color as the surface of the model it can stick instead of your fingers and the lint won't be as obvious.

Other tricks--build the skin in two lays with the seams of the outer panels over the middles of the inner panels. The seams of the inner panels will then be sticking out and stretching the middles of the outer panels. I've done this for making spheres too small for a support structure. The inner layer acts as the compressive support structure and the outer layer as the stretched skin.

I stetch the skin before adding a lot of small parts since I'm rather rough on the model in the skin stretching process.
    Augh, I just realized that this why my building proceedures are a bit different I don't put tabs on the skin but attach furring strips to the support structure. I've also been puzzled by building airplanes around the cockpit which seems to be a common practice. I hadn't really been conscious of my reasoning before on this. It just seemed to work best. OH yeah, I also realize why one of my skin panels has been giving me trouble.

The yellow shapes in the image show panels with the centers smaller than the cross-section. The orange is panels with edges larger than the cross-section(this is more likely to produce wrinkles.)

Attached Files:

• cone.jpg
      File size:
      23.8 KB
  5. enigma

enigma New Member

Thanks for all your encouragement and help. But the main problem now is modelling as it is new to me. I've completed the fuselage up to now. However, i'm not sure how to go about doing the tail. Right now its just a simple tail which looks unrealistic as it doesn't have the curved quality at the edge. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks.

6. Liamladdie

Liamladdie New Member

enigma - Leon Schujt of The Netherlands and JFS of Germany make several
    airliners. LS make them in 1:50 scale including a KLM MD-11...large!
    Try Paper Models International in Oregon for a source. The catalog
    is good and you can order on-line. May help you visualize parts breakdown.
    Not sure if any have been redone using CAD, though. Wonder if anyone has
    attempted the "gore" approach, rather than the "cone" method. Good plotting!
  7. Liamladdie

Liamladdie New Member

correction to my previous post

LS's airliners are 1:70 scale, close enough to the ubiquitous 1:72 standard.
    Also, IMHO, the finest airliner was by 3D Paper; they produced a 1:48 B-727 in (IIRC) three liveries: Delta, FedEx and PSA. They were either laser or diecut
    and built up beautifully. Collectors' $$$ items now. Would be nice to see
    pix of a built-up. I think someone brought one to the second or third
    Int'l Paper Modelers' Convention in Dayton.

PS, I was a "founding member" of that group...four of us, Myles Mandell, Steve Brown, Kell Black and I found ourselves staying up past 3 a.m., in 1996, exchanging tales and looking through Myles' collection. Memories...
  8. Liamladdie

Liamladdie New Member

[Good for you. We could also use a model of a C47/DC3, I think...]

I believe it was Alan Rose who produced a large front section of a DC-3
    from nose to maybe just behind the wing root(?) or maybe along the main spar line. It had nice engine nacelles and I recall someone motorized one...impressive. Maybe six foot w/s? Made to mount on wall. Aplogies if description is faulty, as is my memory. Anyway, it was fun to see. Rare collectors item, I'm certain.
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

by "curved quality at the edge" I'm guessing that you mean the base of the tail? If that is your question project the outline of the base of the tail onto the fuselage and then loft from the top to the bottom. Due to the curving nature of the leading edge you may have to make the tail in more than one part. There are of couse various ways to tackle any problem. In my thread "Designing the F2G" there are several screen shots of my work on the tail that you might be interested in.