B&W Colorized

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I've always liked the old B&W photos that had been tinted by hand with various colors. Just thought I would try it with Paint Shop Pro 7. It was kind of tedious but not too bad for the first effort.

The though occured to me while doing this (a thought is a rare thing here:D) that this would be a good way to try out various backdrop or scenery colors without mixing up a bunch of paints. Just use a "tinted" B&W photo on the computer, get the colors you want, print it out and use it for a guide to paint with.

Attachments

• postcard.jpg
    postcard.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 118

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments guys...it ain't that good!!!:D

This one was done with transparancy at 50%...next time I'm gonna try raising the transparancy level and see if I get that old post card effect.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Here's an aged newspaper effect.
Shamus

Attachments

• postcard.jpg
    postcard.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 79

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Vic,

this is funny, but at the first glimpse for me your picture looked like a normal color photograph. Only then I remarked that there are only seven different colors in that picture. (Oh well, early in the 20th century they even hand-painted post cards, using only 3-5 colors, too.)

This is a good idea to use such a 'hand-colored' b&w-picture as a coloring guide for landscaping!

Shamus, your aged-paper effect looks great, too!

Ron

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Yep Ron, You're right...7 colors that's all. Nothing on the train or the track except the yellow reefer was colorized.

Shamus' aged newspaper effect added another dimension. Look at the loco...see the rust?:)