"B" is for...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
"basic", as in "basic transportation". "B" is also for "Bee", as in "the Bee", a good example of basic transportation:
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_017.jpg

The Grand River & Northern Lake Erie, known commonly as the Erie Northshore, bought her to augment their locomotive-drawn passenger service.
When she first buzzed into town, dressed in a paint scheme based on that of the Northshore locos,
2007-01-10_214.jpg

the locals dubbed her "the Bee". She's been buzzing from town-to-town now for some time, a maid of all work.
Some days it's passenger service out of Dunnville, with a heavyweight coach as a trailer:
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_016.jpg

Other days, a carload of express:
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_020.jpg

Or perishables, bound for Lowbanks:
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_034.jpg

Most often it's an insulated car loaded with fresh fish out of Port Maitland (captured here in an overhead shot at Chippawa Creek, courtesy of Secord Air Services):
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_032.jpg

Of course, with room for mail, baggage, and passengers, she's quite the complete train all by herself:
a_044.jpg

And only occasionally does she fail on the road and need a helping hand: ;)
a_031.jpg

a_037.jpg

"The Bee" (that's what she's called in the Timetable, too - the Northshore's own "name" train :eek:) was built from a Rivarossi combine, hacked into three sections then pieced back together. I added some extra windows in the passenger area, and a window from an Athearn Pullman for the Postal section, then scratchbuilt doors for the baggage area, postal section, and the operator's cab. The windows in the cab area were cut out, then framed with strip styrene. A new underframe was added, along with a UC passenger brake system:
img317.jpg

img314.jpg

The front end is a mish-mash of parts from Cal-Scale, Detail Associates, Details West, New England Rail Service, and Roundhouse/MDC, along with some scratchbuilt parts. The pilot is from a Bachmann Northern (the rest of that loco is in service on Deano's Rock Valley Sub).
img318.jpg

The passenger section has seating (from PikeStuff) for 32. (The inner vestibule wall is modelled, but is fastened to the roof section.)
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_0301.jpg

The window shades are cut from sheet styrene as a single piece for each side of the car, then cemented along the top edge to a .010"x.060" styrene strip, which is in turn cemented along the top edge of the styrene window "glass". This keeps the styrene cement away from inside of the visible windows.
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_0311.jpg

As you can see in this view of the underside, the business end of things is the front frame and partial fuel tank from an Athearn bluebox F7. I used the Athearn truck, but substituted Detail Associates' C-Liner sideframes, as I thought they looked more suitable.
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_026.jpg

The rear truck is the stock Rivarossi truck with Athearn passenger car wheelsets. I reversed one set, then added homemade wipers for more reliable current pick-up for the motor.
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_029.jpg

For power, I added a Mashima flat can motor, mounted in silicon on its flat side for better driveshaft alignment. To the front of the car, a "U"-shaped sandwich of multiple layers of .060" sheet styrene has been cemented to the interior of the plastic body, then screws were used to secure the Athearn metal frame in place:
The_Bee_and_some_freight_cars_023.jpg

Visible at the top of the photo is the underside of the roof, with about 12 oz. of lead weights fastened beneath the clerestory.
"The Bee" is numbered in the Erie Northshore's 600-series for locomotives, and as such, is quite a bit more powerful than a car of this type would normally be. Even with only one powered truck, she can easily handle 7 or 8 freight cars on the Northshore's 2.5% grade east of Elfrida. She'll soon also be the only diesel left on the line, as the other, more modern ones are being sold-off, anchoring the layout more firmly in the '30s.
a_028.jpg

This concludes our lesson for the day on the letter "B". ;):-D

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
WOW.......eh........no, wait........WWOOWWWW

Wayne, we are used to seeing slap (sorry Deano, but in this case I had to use it :mrgreen:) fantastic projects coming from you, but with the Bee I think you’ve even outdone yourself . Knowing your standards, I never thought that was possible. Oh man, you’re really giving me an inferiority complex (which is a good thing, makes me try even harder :twisted:).

Is there a special prototype you modeled with your Bee?

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
Hi Doc---Your lesson on the letter "B" deserves an A+++---here's another shot of the front of the Bee taken by that other train nut who hangs around on the EG&E

a045.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WHOLLY SMOKES Wayne:eeki: , i always thought that was a brass engine, i had no idea you scratch built that:eeki: ...though i should have guessed:eek:ops: .

STUPENDOUS JOB on it!:worship: i am glad you took shots of each step of the way:thumb: . THANK YOU for posting how you made it, and all the GREAT shots of it on your layout:thumb: .

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Kurt, I'm honoured by your compliment. :-D
There's no particular prototype for the Bee, although I took a lot of elements from various prototypes, then added a few details that seemed logical. The project came about because I got the combine car at a very cheap price - I had always felt that the Rivarossi car had either a baggage section that was too long or not enough windows in the passenger section and I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Once I had it, I knew that it had to be modified, somehow, before it could be of any use. Most of the detail parts and the Athearn F7 were things that I had on hand, so the major purchases were the sideframes for the lead truck and the motor. Everything just sort of "fell into place". ;):-D

EDIT: Oops! :eek:ops: I forgot to mention that Mister Nutbar took the photos that show the Bee on the Maitland River bridge, although I think that his great camera work is readily recognisable. ;)

Wayne

Wayne,

a really extraordinary fine model again from your shop !!!!!!!!!

I do not like to work with plastic models however seeing your models I'm very surprised about your ideas, matchlessness and quality. My most high compliments !!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bernhard

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Wayne...thanks for posting this!
Showing all the work that went into the project, just makes the beautiful finished model, all the more incredible :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:.

It is so unique and looks just perfect on your layout!

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Wayne,

Another fine model! A fine point - most doodlebugs weren't "diesels", they were usually gas-electrics. So you needn't worry about contaminating your steam roster with one of those nasty diesels. ;)

Just curious - I'm guessing this was a pretty-much freelanced project, but was there ever a doodlebug with a 3-axle trailing truck?

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I guess another congratulatory message might be redundant...but I'll post it anyway....

!!!!....WoW and YOWSAH.....!!!!

Terrific job...That's a great little "Doodle Bug"...As they say...Will wonders never cease..??

Thanks for posting...Made my day....!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I've been away for a few days, so a belated thanks to all for the kind words.

Beamish: Sorry, but I haven't done the letter "A", although that might be a useful idea. ;) Now, if I could only remember the alphabet.... :p:-D

Squidbait: Yeah, I originally built this car as a gas-electric I've got gas..., but later figured that it would have been redone with a diesel engine for improved reliability. The three "cabbage stack" spark arrestors are meant to show that it's outfitted with a transversely-mounted six cylinder engine, but I don't really know whether that could also be correct for an oil-electric. As for the three-axle trailing truck, I don't recall seeing a similar prototype. :eek:ops:;) My story is that the "Bee" was built in the road's own shops, using a surplus combine.

Wayne