B-747 Space Shuttle Transporter

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by hpept, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Thanks sir!!! We'll definitely wait for this bird!!! :-D
  2. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Editing PDF's

Have you tried it with GSview+Ghostscript?
    All 3 opened fine on my PC....
    Then they can be converted in several graphic-formats like JPG, BMP etc.
    Look at:

Looking forward to the results.
  3. hpept

hpept Member

if you are referring to b-747 encrypted PM models pdfs, i've tried to open several other encrypted archives with photoshop, with gsview and other utils but they all fail to open (as it's normal to be, or else encryption would be unuseful if it was possible to hack it so simply....). The only way i found is to print the file and scan the page.
  4. Huey

Huey Member

wouldn't that be violating copyright law? isn't that the reason why the author of the PModel B747-400 encrypted the file in the first place, so that his model cannot be modified unless with his permission? just a friendly reminder here.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Modifying Card Models.

Dunno, I figure that if you want to re-colour a model for your own private use, that should be nobodies concern but your own. My opinion only of course, your mileage may vary.
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I would humbly suggest, based on prior posts here and elsewhere, that a short request to the designer requesting permission to change the file for re-coloring might be the best way to go.

Some designers don't like others playing around with their designs in any fashion, others are quite happy to allow you to make their design your own. Big caveat...don't try to sell or distribute their design unless they say you can; it is, after all, their design in the first place.

I would also suggest the use of a lock on the file means a few things, one of which is the distributor is trying to protect their copyright on the file and model for obvious reasons, another is the implicit expression that the designer doesn't want his design changed. You would be best to make a request to find out exactly the designer/publisher's feeling about this.

If there is a language barrier, I'm sure some member here would be more than willing to help you contact the designer.

Just some thoughts about this subject.

7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<I would also suggest the use of a lock on the file means a few things, one of which is the distributor is trying to protect their copyright on the file and model for obvious reasons, another is the implicit expression that the designer doesn't want his design changed. You would be best to make a request to find out exactly the designer/publisher's feeling about this.>

I can see your point as far as copyright goes, I don't distribute my re-coloured models (other than a couple of FG models to beta builders, that I either submitted to Chip to do with what he wanted, or will submit to the original designer as a variation on his original). As far as not wanting the design changed, re-colouring of a card model is no different than using a custom decal set on a plastic model.

IMO of course.
  8. hpept

hpept Member

Dear all,
    thank you for taking part in this very interesting discussion. Of course we are walking in a mine filed talking about this subject. Huey, you are completely right ( this in principle, because denying the use of any reproduction method would imply strong limitation to our personal daily life... i dare anyone to say that he/she nevere took a photocopy of a book/magazine/brochure/anythingwithcopyright). Of course the limitation depends on the use that we're going to do with the reproduction. How many people in this forum declare without problems to scan the models to have a backup and/or have the possibility to do mistakes lighthearted? At least this gives the possibility to build two models, and i'm sure that the author would not be happy, because he could sell two and gain twice. Personally i agree with Rick Thompson: making a copy to recolour the model doesn't hurt anyone if this remains a personal copy.
    Jim, contacting th author would be the correct way to go in case of redistribution of the modified version, but in my opinion this is an overshoot in this case. Who cares if the author doesn't like me messing with his work AFTER i've bought the model? The model is mine and i can do whatever i want with my model: i can build it, i can resell it, i can keep it under the pillow, i can burn it, i can scan it... i suppose this doesn't violate any copyright law. Imagine if car producers would forbid cars modification... adios RIDES, OVERHAULING and all their adepts.... Once a product is on the market users can do whatever they want since it belongs to them.
    But as i said at the beginning, this is mine field and opininios can differ alot. I suggest to open another thread if someone is intersted in continuing this discussion and reserve this thread to the model building process.

Best regards to everybody.
  9. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

I was referring to the JAL-model.
    Offcourse the protected P-models can't be openened without the pass...
    It would be the end of them if being hacked!
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I agree with you, hpept.

By the way, this was an awesome build. I really enjoyed the photo of your son holding the model.:)
    Thanks for sharing your build with us.

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Jon is right! It was boxy!

Jon Wrote!

I'm very intriged by the Buran redraw. It looks good. I think the actual buran had a bit more boxy cargo bay area, that shouldn't be too hard to do if you replace the curved aft former with a jery-rigged one that you duplicate in the forward part as well.[/QUOTE]

I think that you should contact Lars @ Classic Space. He has some contacts in the Russian world, (LOL), that could help with the model dim. He sent a lot of research data to me too. I can mail it to you on Monday if he does not help before then.

12. hpept

hpept Member

Dear All,
    i'm here to announce that this project is officially completed. This afternoon i took the last parts that were missing and assembled.
    Here the result.

Thanx to all who followed this thread. I hope you enjoyed reading as much as i did building.
  13. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Stellar! (Pun intended)
  14. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Well done, hpept!

15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Voila! Model Finished..., Next?

Beautifully done project hpept! Now I'm wondering what's next? -Gil
  16. How do you get the fusalage to bend or fold to a nice round or oval shape I'm having big problems, at the moment I'm just doing a sort of 3d picture display with my aircraft but would love to mke them a proper 3d with a half round aircraft in the picture.
  17. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Yippeee!!! Its Beautiful!!!
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well done.

I do think the shuttle name should be Enterprise though. :)
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Great work! I too wonder what is next?

20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Wow, your work inspired me to go on with mine. Now that the Discovery is in space, coupled with the ISS, it is a great subject.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the model on top of your SCA is from Delta 7 Studios, right? I can tell from the windows shading, and the pics at the beginning of this thread, instead of the one you built for the Italy contest. The weathering looks great too. Thanks for sharing!

Stev0, the shuttle Discovery is the right one, as you can see in the NASA video from last year's flight (the video is the 7th thumbnail from top to bottom):