Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by patriot missile, Jun 15, 2005.

1. i am doing a recolor of a wilhemshaven B-58A , what color would best suit it if a hand full were still in service, ACC grey or a more sinister all over black?
  2. Darwin

Darwin Member

I think I would opt for the black. I've got one in gray, and it is not so much-a-much.
  3. 46rob

46rob Member

Speculating on a "what if"--if the Hustler were still in service--I would imagine that it would probably be performing a tactical recon or ECM role. With that in mind--it would most likely be painted in desert camoflage currently. Or, it might be in the flat, multi-toned gray camoflage used on some air force and most naval aircraft.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

I have always liked the B-58 and other delta wings like the delta dart and delta dagger.
    I would really love to see a few more models of all of them them out there, but, I am sure some think of the design as abit "boring". But thse aircraft were anything but boring, the B-58 was the first supersonic bomber and had some very strange design features like the external bomb pod so as that bombs could be released at supersonic speed.
    So, I set off to www.google.com to look up the B-58 and came across this site: http://www.aviation-history.com/convair/b58.html it tells the history of the B-58 and shows some of the early design "ideas" about midways down. (Really strange looking even by todays standards).
    Anyway, just wanted to throw in my opinion for a black recolor, or as rob said, try something modern on it, (heck go wild) tiger camo, chocolate chip camo or even an all orange target drone version. Many old aircraft are painted orange and used for that purpose.
    Just something to consider.

have a good day,

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Just my two cents.............. but I think it would be like the B-1B. Still doing down low high speed attack runs.............if needed. SO I vote for lizard green........or whatever color those AF guys call that green the B-1B is/was painted.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

I agree John, as a matter of fact, while looking at the above link of the history of the B-58, I couldnt help but think of how much it reminded me of the B1-B swing wing. It is, or appears to be comparible in size or close.
    bBut yes, the O.D. green would be cool too.

have a good day,

7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Color of the Day.

I still think black would be the best.
  8. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

Low visibility pink.
  9. dhanners

dhanners Member

I'd vote for a color scheme akin to the B-1B. And I also think that if B-58s were still in service, they'd be re-engined with more fuel-efficient high-bypass turbofans, ala the KC-135R.